Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Blue-Stemmed Goldenrod


blue goldenrod

I thought that since we were talking about blue things, we'd do another one. This is blue-stemmed goldenrod, Solidago caesia. It's a bit of an oddball. Think about where you usually see goldenrod... out in fields, glowing in the full sunshine, right? But this one will grow in partial to full shade. In my "kingdom" it grows in the cemetery.
blue goldenrod

It's also different from most other goldenrods in that the flowers grow in the leaf axils. That just means that the flowers are arranged along the stem, growing from where the leaves meet that stem.
blue goldenrod

Here is a picture taken nine days ago. The flowers are still buds, and you can really see where they grow. You can also see the blueish cast. As the plant ages, the stem will become darker, almost maroon. The stems are weak, and the plant tends to lean over.

How many different kinds of goldenrod do you know?



5 comments:

Ann said...

I had no idea that there was more than one type of goldenrod. I've been seeing plenty of it lately so maybe I'll have to go get a closer look

Secondary Roads said...

Before I read this, I knew of one type.

rainfield61 said...

I do not know any other too.. but is funny to hear from the cemetery again..

Joanne Olivieri said...

Like Ann, I had not idea there was another type. Very interesting.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I think I'll show some pictures of different kinds.

Chuck- see above

rainfield- see above (yup, I keep going back there- not spooky at all)

Jo- see above

OK, everyone! You are in store for a goldenrod primer on some slow days!