Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Sorry Tale and Turkey Tail

 

On Sunday afternoon Maggie and I went hunting for a new adventure. The weather was beautiful, and I had recently heard about a park in the county that I didn't know anything about. Of course that had to be remedied! So, off we headed for Wilson Hill Park. It's on the east side of Hamlin Lake, and I'll be adding it to my Get Off The Couch web site soon.

But when we got there, alas! Every space was guarded by signs that said, "No Dogs Allowed in Park." I ask you, what kind of park is that? Maggie added many protests of her own as I quickly jogged around taking some pictures for the web site.

Then we headed off to another park, not too far from the first one, where dogs are very welcome. Even better, there was no one there at all, and there is a trail of about a mile to walk. That's where we saw the Orange Kist cooler.

We also saw this log, totally covered with a polypore fungus called "Turkeytail."

turkeytail fungus

This group has covered a log so completely that it's hard to tell what it looks like until you get closer.

turkeytail fungus

This one almost looks like an autumn rose!

turkeytail fungus

I think I like this one best. I can't decide if it looks more like a turkey tail, or fresh shavings from an old-fashioned pencil sharpener that peels off those long strips.



10 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

That mushroom totally looks like a rose. And phooey on no dogs allowed.

Abby said...

We don't like those "No Dogs Allowed" signs either! Here's a link to a post I wrote about this: http://karen.pnn.com/articles/show/49171-why-are-police-mean-to-doggies-by-abby Woof! Woof!

rainfield61 said...

Dogs are not allowed in most of the parks at my place.

I have told you why a very long time ago.

Lin said...

Some bad dog owners ruin it for the good ones. :( That is a shame.

I LOVE the textures and colors of that fungus. Very cool!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Beautiful fungi shots. And yes … just what kind of park is that? My Halley would have protested as well. Nonetheless, it looks like you shared a fine afternoon together in a *friendlier* park!

Sandra Rose Hughes said...

What beautiful photographs. There is something wonderful about spending a day with a dog. Thank you for sharing your walk with us.

Ann said...

No dogs allowed? that's just not right.
Very cool fungus. It really does resemble a turkey tail.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I don't know of any parks around here that won't allow dogs. Huh?
The Turkey's Tail is quite lovely. You find the coolest stuff on your hikes!

spinninglovelydays said...

Too bad about the no dogs allowed rule in that park. In my opinion, posting guidelines on minding dogs while there would have been better instead of a total ban.
The fungi look like wooden flowers in the picture. :)

Sharkbytes said...

Dennis- I knew you would feel the "no dogs" pain.

Abby- Your link defaulted to a cat blog??

rainfield- Of course we Americans are perhaps more obsessed with our pets

Lin- I think it may be because there were several homes VERY close to the park.

Rose- I know where those little-used parks are!

Sandra- I almost always have a walk to share- thanks for coming with me.

Ann- I wish I had a picture of a wild turkey with its tail open to show with it, but that's a picture I haven't been able to capture yet.

Jean- I almost didn't show this because it's so common, but this was a nice group. Glad you like it!

Ivy- It is a very stiff, dry fungus, very much like wood.