Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, September 10, 2010

It's Scary, and I Don't Mean the Bike Ride


blue sky with clouds


I took a nice bike ride this afternoon to celebrate the sending of an email with attached file at 2 pm. I took the camera, but then discovered that I forgot to put the memory card in. I'm glad I didn't see anything stupendous.

But I took this picture later. You can see that it was a wonderful day. Just about 70 degrees, blue sky, sun- I don't think it could have been better.

So, what was the email? That's the scary part. It's a proposal to write the first guidebook to the entire 4400-mile North Country Trail. The National Park Service coughed up some money and the RFP was put out this summer with the deadline for proposals today.

I vacillate between my huge ego saying that of course I'll get it because I'm the best person to write this, and thinking that I don't have a chance in the world because of the people/companies I'm competing against.

For better or worse, my ideas and the premise that I am uniquely qualified to do this better and faster than anyone else is now in their hands. They are hoping a turnaround time of 2 weeks on the awarding of the contract.

I've been working on the proposal for a couple of weeks (but on the plan in my head for much longer than that). So, now I just have to wait and see if the committee likes my format best. It's going to be a nail-biter.



13 comments:

RNSANE said...

Good for you, Joan...of course, my money is with you but I admit to bias. You know the area so intimately so it would make sense to me that you get awarded the contract. I'm praying, crossing my fingers, lighting candles
( well, scented ones in my house )!

Mandy said...

Wow!!! Good for you for sending out the email and I wish you the best of luck. Also biased of course but I agree. I think you're the best person for the job.

Lin said...

Hey, no guts, no glory! Right???! I'm glad that you sent the email. Now it is up to someone else to decide. Putting yourself out there is 90% of the battle. :) Good for you, Sharky! I hope you get it.

betchai said...

i'll pray you will get the contract Sharbytes, I wish you the best. what a beautiful picture.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I feel confident that you will get the contract. (Hope I'm right!)

Joe Todd said...

Best of luck

Jerri said...

Good luck, hope you come out with the contract.

rainfield61 said...

I took pictures the day before yesterday, and only found out no memory card was inside in the camera during reviewing.

I was lucky I was not taking any opportunity shots that moment.

I went back and got what I want.

The Retired One said...

How wonderful...good luck! I just know the universe will hear you and grant you this well-deserved opportunity!

Sharkbytes said...

to all- I'm touched by all your good wishes and prayers. If it's supposed to be, it will be!

Carmen- Thanks, I like candles!

Emm- Thank you for the kind thoughts

Lin- Yup... I've been on track to submit a proposal for this since the serious discussion began over a year ago. Fortunately for me, they didn't get around to issuing the RFP till I was almost done hiking. I wouldn't have had time to work on both at the same time.

betchai- thank you, my friend!

Jean- Well, I like it that you are confident!

Joe- Thanks! Nice to see you.

Jerri- So many kind thought! Thank you, too.

rainfield- at least I don't get nasty surprises like that. My camera won't turn on with no card in it.

Joan- Well... I hope you're right!

Ann said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, although I highly doubt that you'll need it. Duke and I both wish you the best of luck

Joanne Olivieri said...

Well of course in my mind you are THE ONE. I'm sure they will see it as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks, Ann! Well, it's going to be about format and price as well as anything else.

Jo- I will let you know, for good or bad, for sure.