Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Purple and Silver

 
witch grass

Well, now I have to confess, as you can see, that I have not mowed the lawn since coming home from hiking. No one cares, out here in the country, except me. But I can justify it by finding beauty in the weeds. This is some kind of witch grass. I'm not going to get more specific than that, 'cause I "don't do" grass. (I'll stick to sedges for complicated IDs.) It's fluffy and purple. But look what happens to it in the early sunlight with dew on it...
witch grass

Now it is magical- a treasure of silver.
witch grass

Maybe it is precious, sparkling gems, with crystal spikes.




8 comments:

betchai said...

very magical indeed, beautiful. this reminds me of my childhood, though we definitely have different weeds, but i loved running in the midst of the weeds and even hiding in them when I was little :)

rainfield61 said...

Haha.. you have a field of treasure.

Ann said...

If my lawn looked like that when I didn't mow I might be tempted to let it go more often. How pretty that is. Of course if I were to let my lawn go I would surely get a letter from the borough office regarding neighbor complaints

Glynis Peters said...

I approve. We 'can't' do grass very well here, lack of rain you see.

Love the colours.

Unknown said...

How awesome, I believe that the botanical gardens is showcasing this type of grass as a low-water (green) alternative to keeping a well manicured, often cut lawn. You are ahead of the trend!

Sharkbytes said...

betchai- tall plants were a completely different world when were were small, weren't they? I used to hide under grape vines.

rainfield- too bad they won't take it at the grocery store

Ann- yes, I would be in deep trouble in a town

Glynis- I can't imagine how you grow anything with the lack of rain you've mentioned.

J- Well, I can't imagine that cities would really allow it. It's about a foot high, and not much fun to walk through really, but who knows!

vanilla said...

Wonderful pictures. Makes you glad you kept the mower in the barn, wot?

Sharkbytes said...

Vanilla- Well, it's not the greatest for walking in! It tickles my ankles when I hang the laundry. But it's sure better than crab grass.