Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Pinwheels On Pink

 
Although I know perfectly well that I can see 17 of the county's 56 wind turbines from my house, I tend to forget about them because they aren't really obvious, especially when the leaves are on the trees. However at night when I can see the 17 blinking red lights I don't feel so fondly toward them. But this afternoon, from a slightly different perspective on my walk, the silhouettes against the late afternoon sky were somewhat appealing.

wind turbines

Keep in mind these are about five miles away, on the other side of the river!

In other news...

drawer

What? You don't see anything wonderful and marvelous? Well, I am about to tell you why this is a great accomplishment. The plastic fitting that holds the drawer slider to the back of the cabinet broke over a year ago. I took it to the kitchen department of the lumber company, and they identified the maker, but said I'd have to go through their web site, if they still even made the part. OK.

The web site had a form to fill out that you had to send with $15 and the broken part, if it was under warranty. The warranty lasts 7 years, but the cabinets are 23 years old. Can you believe that? I can't. This is a new house. At least to my way of thinking. But companies don't think your kitchen should last 23 years any more, I guess.

I miss my old plain wooden farm kitchen cupboards that held a TON of stuff, two rows deep with no space-limiting, stupid, pull-out shelves. O wait, I'm getting grumpy, and this blog is supposed to be positive.

OK. So at the very least I was going to have to pay $15 for a piece of plastic about 1" x 2" x 2". I jury rigged it by mounting it backwards. The drawer didn't close the final inch, but not bad. That lasted about six months.

Then, last fall, of course 15 minutes before the arrival of the first actual company we'd had in forever, my "fix" let loose. The plastic is just too old. So the drawer has been sitting on the kitchen floor since September. Today, I went to the web site again, but just couldn't talk myself into the cost of even finding out if the part was still made.

I said, "There must be some other fix for this!" So, I emptied the cupboard underneath, took out the remains of the broken part and cogitated. Well. I fixed that puppy with a screw and a piece of cord. And if the cord breaks in a few months... I have more cord.

Thus, I am very happy to show you a properly closed drawer that works just fine, thank you very much! If you aren't familiar with the Dickens' children's story The Magic Fishbone, I highly recommend it. Today, I very much felt that I was able to “snip and stitch and cut and contrive.”

See Today in My Backyard
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

7 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Such initiative! Glad to see you found a sensible solution.

John Sealander said...

Where there's a will, there's a way. Good job!

Rick (Ratty) said...

I'm jealous, there's only one wind turbine around here.

That's my kind of fix for the cabinet. I wouldn't want to spend the money either. Shouldn't have to.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

We have lots of windmills over here Morecambe Bay has lots - I am fine with them, lots of folk say they spoil the view but I look at the nuclear power station across the bay and can only think it's a time bomb waiting to go off. I wish we had more wind, solar or tidal power.

Ann said...

way to beat the system. That's kind of crazy having to spend $15 to find out if they have that part.

Secondary Roads said...

Inventiveness helps. Determination motivates. Determined inventiveness get the job done. Two thumbs--way up.

vanilla said...

Good on you. "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."