Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, January 12, 2015

Silo Tops - 2

 
Although I went out for a nice walk again today, nothing new caught my eye. However, I've been saving these pictures, so this is a good day to bring them out.

I pass this barn quite often, and consider it a bit of a mystery. In the first place, it's really big. That's not totally strange, but even in this agricultural economy, this one is large. It doesn't appear to be in use for farming any more.

large barn

The silo is salt-glazed tile. We have quite a few of those around here, so that's not too unusual, but this is set on a really old stone foundation.

salt-glazed tile silo

It looks to me as if at some time one portion of the upper area of the right end of the barn was made into an apartment, because of the dormer with residential-looking windows.

dormer on a barn

But here's the biggest mystery. Whoever saw a silo with glass windows at the top like an observatory of some sort? I've always wondered if they were added and the upper portion of the silo is part of the apartment. However, the windows don't really look sealed well enough for that, either.

silo top with windows

At any rate, it's certainly interesting.

See Glazed Tile Silo
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


7 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Fascinating! You wonder what was the story behind that!

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Joan, I think you should use this in your next mystery! What a great setting. I'll bet you can imagine a great "find" within!

Tony Payne said...

As it looks now I bet it's horribly drafty up there... Great views though.

Using this in a mystery story made me think of The Black Tower, a novel by P.D.James which was dramatized (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088483/) and used a historic folly close to where I grew up in England.

vanilla said...

The windows atop the silo are weird indeed.

Secondary Roads said...

What first struck me was the size of that monster barn. I hope you discover the true genesis of barn, and particularly, silo.

Ann Thompson said...

That is a huge barn and it's the first silo I've ever seen with windows like that

Duxbury Ramblers said...

It reminded me of a midsomer murder I watched years ago - the village blackmailer/gossip watched all the goings on from her spy tower -