Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, January 30, 2015

Sunset Sun Pillar

 
I know I've brought you a lot of sunsets lately, but this one has to be included because it's another "first" for me. I see sun pillars at sunrise from my house fairly regularly, once a year or so, but I'd never seen one at sunset from where I live.

Tonight, the sun was sinking, and was shining in my eyes through the window. I decided to at least stand up and take a peek at what the sky was looking like, although I didn't have any expectations of anything too exciting.

Wrong! I went charging through the house for the camera and a pair of boots to slip on, so I could get out the door before it faded. They only last a few minutes.

sun pillar

Lesson- don't forget to look for the unexpected, even in ordinary places.

The camera didn't record the definition of the pillar as well as it showed to the naked eye, but you can see it for sure.

See Christmas Eve Colors for another sunset sun pillar
See Sun Pillar for an explanation of why they form
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

The more sunsets the better. When I was still in Michigan I couldn't ever see a proper sunset because there was too much city in the way.

Ann said...

The camera may not have captured it exactly the way you saw it but it's good enough that we get to see a bit of it too. Amazing

Ann said...

The camera may not have captured it exactly the way you saw it but it's good enough that we get to see a bit of it too. Amazing

Secondary Roads said...

I also have trouble capturing good images of sun pillars. It is very clearly there in that spectacular photo. Great capture.

Unknown said...

So beautiful.

Lin said...

WOW! That is an incredible photo. The colors!!