Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, December 7, 2015

Little Green Things Make Me Happy

 

It's amazing how baby pine trees can hide in the weeds all summer long. Today, I found five new white pines all to the east of the large clump my trail goes through.

white pines

They are probably too close together to all survive, but two or three of them should make it.

They are in two clumps.

white pines

white pines

I didn't manage to get the largest one in either of the closer pictures.

These aren't the same ones that I discovered in the summer. Not even in the same area at all. It must have been a good year for sprouting seeds. But in just a few years another few feet of my trail will go through trees!

Meanwhile, I seriously need to carry a saw with me on one of my walks. Some big branches (no plant material of value) are encroaching.


See Surprises in My Kingdom
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Great time of year for finding things like that (and seeing through the woods). And those pine trees sure can grow fast once they're up about 2 feet.

Ann said...

I like white pines.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Any kind of green this time of year is a welcome sight.

vanilla said...

Nice surprises are. . . nice.