Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Smooth Puffball

 

Look at these interesting little things. They are about three inches tall and maybe an inch across. Growing right in the middle of my trail. There's always something new to find!

smooth puffball

I'm pretty sure they are smooth puffball, Lycoperdon molle. The closeup of the one on the right is really a good match for the picture in the book. They have a little hole in the top where the spores escape. It says they are common, but not abundant. I don't recall ever seeing them before.

smooth puffball

And that makes them very cool!


See Giant Puffball
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


2 comments:

Ann said...

I've never seen any like that before. They look like thread spools to me

Secondary Roads said...

I too have not seen that variety before. They do look very interesting.