Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, December 14, 2015

Yikes! In December?

 
This is one of the few risks of playing outdoors a lot. However, it's pretty unexpected in December.

I just pulled a fully embedded female deer tick off my back. I'm not TOO worried, but needless to say, I'll be watching that area.

female deer tick

Uh, with a mirror. I can't really see my back.

Have to wonder where I picked it up. The only grass I've really been in is my own backyard. I keep my shirts tucked in, and although it's warm, it's not so warm that I've had exposed skin other than hands and face. If it got in a pant leg, it had a long journey which was undetected, and I usually feel them crawling around.

The only other deer tick I've encountered (on me) was in Minnesota. That story led nowhere. Thankfully.

I think I might have had a mild case of Lyme after our first North Dakota hike in 1995. The tests came back negative, but they are/were notoriously unreliable. I had flu-like symptoms and lots of aches for several months. Of course the doctor attributed it to middle-aged female hypochodriasis. You see how much I like doctors...


if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


7 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

It has been a most unusual December. But ticks? Whudda thunk it?

Ann said...

I'm all for early Christmas gifts but not when they embed themselves in to my skin. I share your opinion of doctors. I have yet to meet one that is worth his weight in co-pays

vanilla said...

3/16 inch of serious aggravation. Her doctor said, "Oh, Jo Ann. Nobody can have that many symptoms." Goes to a different dr. now.

Lin said...

Ugh. Doctors. I remember when I went for medical clearance to have my toe straightened and the surgeon wanted to take my gall bladder out! Still have my gall bladder AND I have a straight toe now. Sheesh, you gotta watch those guys.

It's been warm here too. Haven't worn a winter coat except a few days.

Sharkbytes said...

Ah, vanilla, those are mm. Very small. 3 mm.

Chuck, Ann, Lin- those doctors just don't get it for some of us.

vanilla said...

Okay, I guess I am losing it when I can't even read a ruler. Yep, ten spaces between the major marks. So barely more than 0.1" in English.

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay ticks!!! i hate them!!! they shud all be frozen their by now and gud riddanse!!! ok bye