Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Yikes! In December?

 
This is one of the few risks of playing outdoors a lot. However, it's pretty unexpected in December.

I just pulled a fully embedded female deer tick off my back. I'm not TOO worried, but needless to say, I'll be watching that area.

female deer tick

Uh, with a mirror. I can't really see my back.

Have to wonder where I picked it up. The only grass I've really been in is my own backyard. I keep my shirts tucked in, and although it's warm, it's not so warm that I've had exposed skin other than hands and face. If it got in a pant leg, it had a long journey which was undetected, and I usually feel them crawling around.

The only other deer tick I've encountered (on me) was in Minnesota. That story led nowhere. Thankfully.

I think I might have had a mild case of Lyme after our first North Dakota hike in 1995. The tests came back negative, but they are/were notoriously unreliable. I had flu-like symptoms and lots of aches for several months. Of course the doctor attributed it to middle-aged female hypochodriasis. You see how much I like doctors...


if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


7 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

It has been a most unusual December. But ticks? Whudda thunk it?

Ann said...

I'm all for early Christmas gifts but not when they embed themselves in to my skin. I share your opinion of doctors. I have yet to meet one that is worth his weight in co-pays

vanilla said...

3/16 inch of serious aggravation. Her doctor said, "Oh, Jo Ann. Nobody can have that many symptoms." Goes to a different dr. now.

Lin said...

Ugh. Doctors. I remember when I went for medical clearance to have my toe straightened and the surgeon wanted to take my gall bladder out! Still have my gall bladder AND I have a straight toe now. Sheesh, you gotta watch those guys.

It's been warm here too. Haven't worn a winter coat except a few days.

Sharkbytes said...

Ah, vanilla, those are mm. Very small. 3 mm.

Chuck, Ann, Lin- those doctors just don't get it for some of us.

vanilla said...

Okay, I guess I am losing it when I can't even read a ruler. Yep, ten spaces between the major marks. So barely more than 0.1" in English.

Dennis the Vizsla said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay ticks!!! i hate them!!! they shud all be frozen their by now and gud riddanse!!! ok bye

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin