Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, October 27, 2023

Back in Harness at 15+1


Ha! I could have blogged about the blog yesterday. I've been blogging here for 15 years and one day. So, it's blogiversary plus 1. (And occasional blog-like posts on Xanga before that.)

Today, as opposed to yesterday, I felt fine. I worked on a number of projects, although it was not a good day to work outside, and so nothing really lends itself to photos.

The biggest news, for sure, is that I wrote about 500 words in the current Anastasia Raven mystery. The title is Vacation from Dead Mule Swamp. This one starts out with a bang, and it's going to be a fairly unique setting for the story line.

The location, however, is going to be Ludington. Yes, here. Fiction books set in real hometowns often do well, and I'm going to take a shot at it. That said, the story line is strange. I hope I can pull it off in a somewhat believable manner.

Although I had chapter 1 written over a year ago, the whole project went on hold. Of course, I simply didn't have time for quite a while as I finished my big hike. I did a lot of research into other books with similar plots which made me think it is doable.

The biggest problem was that I could not think of a sufficient motive for my bad guy (remember, this starts off with a bang) to take the risks he obviously is taking. And I could not dredge up any interest in writing any further without knowing what was motivating this guy. Two days ago, I came up with a motive that works.

I was going to share Chapter 1 with you. I probably need the motivation of some expectant readers to keep me writing what may prove to be a difficult book. However, I just found a contest I can enter this in, and it requires me to NOT have shared this even on a blog. Come back in a few weeks!

And... it's probably too early to reveal the cover, but here's a sneak peek.
partially revealed cover for Vacation from Dead Mule Swamp


Did my editing, and as mentioned, a bunch of computer stuff.

See The early books in the series

4 comments:

PamDDO said...

Looking forward to reading it when it’s published.
Pam

Ann said...

Looking forward to it and best of luck in the contest you're entering it in.

Doug said...

Oh, I'm so excited for the next story in the series. Wishing you success in the contest.

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks, all! I think the muse has hit!