Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, October 19, 2023

Trailer Repairs - 2A - Upper Kitchen Cupboard


Today, I worked on fixing the fact that the upper kitchen cupboard has come unseated from where it's supposed to be. You are looking up at the bottom of that cupboard This picture shows how the left front edge of it sits on rails fiberglassed to the walls (but hidden behind the "tile"). That part is fine. But if you look at the gap the arrow is pointing to, well... that is now also OK. That gap was over twice as wide. The whole cupboard had shifted out toward the center of the trailer.
fitting a cupboard in a fiberglass trailer


Why had it shifted forward? Part of the reason was that the screw holding that edge in place wasn't holding anything. I'm not sure how I managed to totally miss the block of wood it was supposed to screw to (behind the front of the cupboard and fiberglassed to the shell), but I did. The screw was in the empty hole. Now the screw is firmly seated in the brace.
fastening a cupboard in a fiberglass trailer


I'm also going to get a thin piece of trim wood and jam it in the "trench" where the wires are resting. That will brace it from the front against one of the main body supports of the whole trailer (which you can't see in this picture).

Now for the other big problem with this whole unit. What you see in this picture is, again, the bottom of the cupboard. The rough wood on the left is a temporary brace. Look at the junction line between the two arrows. You can't see much depth in the photo, but the bottom edge of the cupboard was supposed to rest on the top of that white trim strip. However, the fit wasn't quite good enough for that to work well, and particularly not after the whole unit slid away from the wall. So... the bottom of the unit sagged. I used a small hydraulic jack to lift it up to the height it's supposed to be and added that temporary brace until I figure out the solution.
fitting a cupboard in a fiberglass trailer


Since I knew from the beginning that the fit wasn't quite good enough, I had added an interior L bracket which should have kept the bottom from sagging. It does not appear that the brace the bracket is screwed to has come loose, so I don't quite understand how the sagging could have happened, but clearly this needs support from the bottom side.
fitting to hold a cabinet


I should have a scrap of that white molding left, but I couldn't find it today. If I can't, I'll probably get some more, or a different kind, to make the molding wider. Then the shelf can sit on it like I meant it to in the first place.

I also worked some more on the insulation, but I'm at an impasse (OK, I can finish taking down the old pieces) until the other kind of glue arrives to experiment with. That's OK, I have something I'll be doing all day tomorrow, so the trailer work will be on hold anyway.

In other news, I edited, and worked hard to pretty much finish a volunteer project.

See Repairs 1A- Insulation

2 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "That looks just like the bracket that held our old cat tree to the wall so that it wouldn't like fall over when big old Chaplin jumped all the way up to the top!"
Chaplin: "Hey, I'm not that big."
Charlee: "You're big enough."

Sharkbytes said...

C&C- they are very handy little pieces of metal