Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Jennifer Pharr Davis


I have previously mentioned that Jennifer Pharr Davis is an acquaintance of mine. Link below (from 10! years ago) that mentions some of her accomplishments. I'm not sure I'm in the same league, to be calling her a friend. However, I did show you the picture of her speaking at our Celebration last week.



But, she did remember me. She also helped me pick Modestine, "Teeny," when I needed a new pack 3 years ago.

We got to visit a little bit at dinner at Celebration.
hiker friends


I want to take my hat off to her yet again, but this time, not for any feat of hiking (or hiking feet). Most keynote speakers just breeze in and out of conferences. She came a day early, ate with us, took one of the hikes on the NCT the next day to Jones Hill, and then ate dinner with us again just before her talk. That was great, by the way.

Here, she is checking out my End-to-End patches, the new ones and the old one.
hiker friends


I'm currently reading her book, The Pursuit of Endurance. It's an overview of what may motivate long-distance hikers and record-setters. It includes mini bios of a number of people she knows who do this kind of thing over and over. I am not anywhere near the same league as most of them, but I do understand a lot of what she is saying about what makes them tick, their lack of ability to articulate why they want to do these things, and the constant presence of pain as you fulfil goals that you've mentally embraced.

Today, I edited my brains out and also went to the grocery store. Omer came home from his travels. He says he's actually tired.

See Generations of Hikers

3 comments:

Doug said...

In the middle picture, the chandelier looks like Jennifer is wearing a tiara.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Wow, you sure have a lot of end to end patches! Or are they beginning to beginning patches? Hmmmm ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Doug- well, she deserves one!

Lulu- I like the beginnings idea