Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 9, 2023

Best Photos of April 2022


Here are the best of the pictures I took from April 2022. Photo sorting is going slowly, but it's not a high priority at this point.

From April 2022, I've chosen what I think are the 10 best pictures to share. Things were starting to green up, but there was still a ton (or several) of mud. I hiked across Pennsylvania and into New York.

I am saying these pictures are "best," not because they necessarily tell the story best, but because I think they are simply the best actual photographs. I've left them full size, so you can click on them and see them larger. That always makes photos look better. Every single one is tweaked a bit to reduce the blah, flat look of low light sky.

I crossed Pennsylvania and was well into New York in April.

This is The Branch, in Pennsylvania, and it's one of my favorite pictures from the entire hike. Best seen larger. As usual for these photo posts I've left the photos full size so you can click on them.
misty creek


Of course, there's still the occasional temporary return to winter. Hey, I crossed the Holimont ski slopes in NY on the last day they were open for the season. But this is not the ski area.
snow in pine plantation


I was definitely looking for anything green by then. On a continuous hike, you have to take whatever season you get, but I sure don't care for the brown and gray months. Loved these hummocks of moss.
moss hummocks


Maybe I love this moss that grows in tendrils across the rocks like a fern or hemlock boughs even more.
moss on rock


Creeks were starting to run full. This is Tracy Run (you may remember I had concerns crossing it, but made it safely). The challenge did not detract from its beauty.
rocky creek Tracy Run


This is just a wet meadow area at the end of a small pond. The old grasses are bent over, and it's all very subtle, but I like the textures and muted colors.
wet meadow in early spring


I left Pennsylvania walking along the Kinzua Reservoir. I love this picture despite the tree down across the trail. My "trail work" sensors get set off, but the rest of me can ignore it for the way this almost glows.
trail in woods with pine needles


Although Pennsylvania is no slacker in the hill department, you get better views from many of the hills in New York. This is from the ridge above Hickory Hills campground, long-time supporters of the trail. In fact, I camped here on my first hike.
Hickory Hills


Some of the open-ness of the views is due to agricultural use. Last years cornstalks are often good for an artsy picture. Late afternoon or morning light would have been nicer, but hey. What I got was light at 1:30 in the afternoon. As I always say, I'm a photographer of opportunity not design.
corn stubble patterns


And the layered shale of western NY is always good for patterns. This photo is almost an optical illusion. At first glance it looks like water in a rocky gorge. You may have to look at it larger to see this, but the far "wall" is not rock, but water. Just a study in patterns. This is in Excelsior Glen, very close to my hometown.
patterns of rock and water


Do you think we'll have more colorful pictures for May? One day soon, we'll find out.

I couldn't sleep last night so did some extra work, then slept in, and edited when I got up. Productive, but probably not as fast as I should be making progress.

See Best Photos of March 2022

6 comments:

Ann said...

Excellent choices. I like them all.

Lin said...

Shark...these are incredible photos! You certainly have an eye!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "These pictures are amazing, and we definitely agree with you on The Branch, that would be our favorite too! We would love to explore and go sniffing there!"

The Furry Gnome said...

Good selection of photos!

PamDDO said...

Beautiful!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- thanks

Lin- I'm not sure they are incredible, but given that I just take pictures of whatever I come across, they are tolerable

Lulu- There would have been lots of good sniffing there!

Stew and Pam- thank you!