Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, October 13, 2023

Clammy Ground Cherry Bounty


You might remember that in one of the rock garden posts I said there were several Clammy Ground Cherry plants growing, and I was going to leave them for now since they are native. I did leave them. They matured and got leggy as I knew they would, but it was fine to have them there for this year.

I've shown pictures of the whole life cylce of this plant before because it's such a fun little find- see links below.

The best part, for me, is that I harvested 6 fruits yesterday. Here are 3 of them, still in their pods.


And what did I do with them? I put three on yesterday's dinner salad, and three on today's! Yum, yum. The little balls- these are the fruits, and the inside looks just like a tiny tomato- same family. They aren't quite ripe- they would turn golden, but you can eat them anyway, and they taste about the same. They are sweet and tart at the same time. Each one is a little sticky on the outside. I usually find only one or two at a time and pop them like candy, but six seemed like a significant number, requiring me to treat it with respect.


I have seen big patches of them growing, but usually just a few plants in any one place.

It rained all day and was cold. I was tired. I managed to edit and do a few other things, but I also napped and read. Ho hum. It was that kind of day.

See The Secret of the Clammy Ground Cherry
See The Secret of the Clammy Ground Cherry - Revealed

2 comments:

Ann said...

They almost look like olives. How interesting.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- they are nearly perfectly round little balls