Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Guinea Fowl!

 
One of the funniest species of domestic bird on the planet has to be Guinea Fowl. I encountered some on a farm I surveyed.

guinea fowl

I should have made a video, with sound. They make a noise like a thousand squeaky gates and run around bobbing their heads as if they can't decide whether you are a threat or a possible source of food.

guinea fowl

Here's a plus. I just learned they eat ticks. Lots of ticks.

Not the first time I've seen them, but I don't see them often enough to get used to.

By the way, some blog I used to read regularly talked about getting Sebastopol geese- the ones with the fancy feathers. I saw one of those too! If you are still stopping by here, remind me who you are and leave a link.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

8 comments:

rainfield61 said...

They are a noisy one.

We used to have them as pets.

vanilla said...

As I recall, and who knows how reliable my memory is, most of the farms we visited when I was a boy had a few free-range guinea fowl on the premises. Better than a watchdog so far as raising an alarm was concerned!

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay that bird luks like wun of the birds wot tucker klayms wunse floo into the big windo of the howse in the mithikal land of noo york!!! he sez he pikd it up and pransed arownd with it as if he had kawt it himself!!! i find it hard to beleev sutch a bird cud hav crashed into the howse but if it did i kan sertinly beleev tucker wood pretend to hav kawt it!!! ha ha ok bye

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I don't believe I've ever had the honor of meeting a Guinea Fowl, but I'll say that they are beautiful (from the neck, down, anyway)!

Nice to re-connect!

Ann said...

I've never seen guinea fowl other than in pictures. Too bad you didn't get a video

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- pets? they can get attached to humans?

vanilla- yes, no one would be able to sneak past. One guy in Ohio where I saw them said he kept them because they kill snakes.

Hi Rose- Yes, they are a mixture of beauty and ugly, for sure

Ann- maybe next time!

Secondary Roads said...

My uncle's father-in-law raised them on his farm. I remember them being noisy and strange . . . or was it strange and noisy?

RNSANE said...

I haven't seen a guinea fowl ( you would think I'd led a sheltered
life ). Interesting birds.