Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

To Hell and Back Hike

 
On my way home from Pennsylvania and a wonderful trail conference. Yesterday I took the challenge of a long hike. 13 miles of hilly, rocky trail. This is part of the North Country Trail.

North Country Trail sign

This was mostly along Slippery Rock Creek.

North Country Trail sign

Actually just one other guy and I did the hike. Earlier in the week a group did half the distance in five and a half hours. The organizers were concerned that we wouldn't be able to do it all. I really wanted to do the whole thing.

Part way along, the trail turns and follows Hell's Hollow to Hell's Hollow Falls.

North Country Trail sign

The falls is 0.4 mile off the main trail, so I hadn't seen it before. I was glad to get to visit it. The person in charge of transportation for our hike met us and we decided we had time to hike back most of the way to a bridge where she could meet us and save two miles (or it would have been a 15 mile hike!). We made it back and actually had time to shower before dinner. Good thing!

I'm actually a bit sore today, but it was great.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


6 comments:

Ann said...

good for you for completing the whole hike. Looks like some beautiful scenery

Karen and Gerard said...

Wow, that's awesome. I don't think I would be able to do that one. I bet my dog could though! Good for you!

vanilla said...

Beautiful places, but places I shall never see. Good for you!

Secondary Roads said...

Like Vanilla, the only way I get to see these places is via the pictures that you post here on MQD. Thanks!

Chris Hillier said...

I gotta hike this trail.
wolverinehikesmichigan.blogspot.com

mail4rosey said...

I bet it was so nice to be out and about. The weather seems just about perfect for a good hike.