Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, July 14, 2023

Margaret's Garden


Today, with permission, I bring you another friend's garden. She's feeling a lot like I am these days- just obsessed with getting out there and playing with the plants. She also gave me a few things to bring home. I'll show those another day.

This is her back porch. She has an amazing ability to take plants in and keep them over the winter. I've never had much luck with that. She does do a fair amount with adding the color of some annuals, but a lot of these she brings back to life every year.
pots of colorful flowers on porch steps


For example, this awesome begonia! My Steve gave me a begonia for my birthday one year, and I tried to keep it over the winter, but I either don't have the right kind of storage place, or the right technique.
orange begonia in  a pot


She loves roses. You know I'm not a huge fan, but these are very nice. These both have thorns that are probably capable of flaying a person alive. This one is called 'Mr. Lincoln.'
Mr Lincoln rose


And this one is Joseph's Coat. I like this one better, just because I like the shading in the color.
Joseph's Coat rose


Speaking of the thorns, and the 6-foot wooden fence around her yard, neither of these is enough to deter the deer. It seems they jumped in and ate a big chunk of the Mr. Lincoln rose. City deer are happy and well-fed. They know nobody can touch them. You can't hunt inside the city limits.

We don't know what cultivar these are, but look at the color of these lilies!
red asiatic lilies


I don't think I've ever seen a lily like this one. There is so much shading in the throat of this lily, and mostly from dots of deeper colors. I think it looks very rich.
mauve lily


She also has a vegetable garden, extremely well-tended. Blueberries, asparagus, raspberries. Do you know how much time and effort it takes to maintain all this? It's beautiful! You can also see that fence that the deer just jump over.
backyard garden


Here we are. Neither one of us is going to choose this picture as a favorite, but it's the best of the ones I took. Ho hum.
friends


In other news: I did a little more mowing, mostly so I could get to the door of our storage building and to the rock pile. I brought some more rocks up here. The bulk of what I did was get ready for tomorrow. That included completely shuffling the leftover hike food to different tubs so I can use those tubs for books. I had to print some things, and discovered I hadn't moved all my fonts to the new computer. Everything seems to take forever. But then I did do errands, went to visit Margaret, and came home with more plants which I have already put in the gardens.

If you want to read yet another article about my hike, see Outdoors.com

See Deb's Garden

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I do not comment often but i do enjoy reading your blog every evening. I over winter in my house several plants. I have geraniums that are now close to 10 years old. It is hit or miss with several other plants. Todays photos of the garden and flowers and the two of you are very nice.

Ann said...

Her gardens are amazing. Not only would I not be able to keep those plants alive during the winter, but I would have a hard time keeping them alive while they're outside in the summer. I love the look of plants in pots on a deck but I can never remember to water them.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Cindy- Great job. I can't even seem to succeed keeping geraniums. Congrats!

Ann- I'm more with you on that

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Orange flowers! Our Dada approves!"