Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Four-Toothed Mason Wasp Again


I showed you this wasp once before, in 2019. I guess I have a local population because here is another one. The females can sting, and the males can jab, but they have no venom.


I tried to find some new piece of information about them, even though I shared quite a bit last time. I did find one source that says this is a female because it has no white at all on its face.

These are not aggressive wasps. She would only sting if you tried to grab or swat her. They are beneficial, pollinating flowers and using a lot of harmful moth caterpillars as incubators (and thus food) for their own babies.

In other news: Loretta and I went to an outdoor church service this morning. Then I did a few things I was supposed to and not some others.

See Halloweenish Horror

3 comments:

Ann said...

I don't think I've ever seen one like this

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "So it only stings if you swat at it? But what fun is a bug if you can't swat it?"
Chaplin: "No fun at all!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I hadn't until a couple of years ago

C&C- Maybe your furs would protect you. We hoomans are mostly nakid.