Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 26, 2023

Futon Fix


I am nearing the last of the aftermath of the basement flood in January (link below). The old pull-out couch had been dead before the flood, and since it had been just dumped in the yard, we simply hauled it off to the township trash day this spring. It was so heavy I had to get help every time it needed to be seriously moved.

In June, Cathy helped me and we went to pick up a used futon I found for a reasonable price.


It's a really nice frame, but the person was selling it because the zipper on the cover had completely failed. You can see that the stuffing is blossoming out from inside on three sides. I knew I could replace the zipper.


However, I quickly realized that replacing the zipper was a bad plan. The cushion had been made with a zipper, but then after the cover had been put over the padding, buttons had been fixed through it to hold things in place like on a regular couch or chair. If I were going to replace the zipper, I'd need to cut all those out, and then replace them too. Sure, I know how to do that, but it seemed unnecessary. The cover doesn't need to be removable. I decided to just sew up the old cover. That turned out to be a s-l-o-w job. Easy, but slow.

Anyway, I finished today! I also re-hung two pictures that had to be moved because some of the bookcases got moved. The downstairs really looks like a living space again!


This futon is nicer than the other couch ever was.

I also managed to do laundry and some other odds and ends.

See Not the Day I Planned
What Happened with the Basement

2 comments:

Ann said...

The frame for the futon looks like the one my daughter used to have. You did a great job on that cushion. It looks great.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- thanks!