Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

How Are those Annuals?


Remember the annual flowers I got for almost nothing? Mixed report on how they are doing. The pink New Guinea impatiens recovered and bloomed nicely. You can see they were all in metal jail at the time.
pink new guinea impatiens


The impatiens with white flowers next to it also was covered in new blossoms. Then I found some bird netting I already owned. I replaced the wire with that because I didn't really have enough wire, and the netting looks so much better.

But, someone with teeth got under that (No big surprise, I guess. I didn't have it fastened very well) and ate all the flowers off those two plants. However, now the other white impatiens is blooming.
white impatiens


The Gazenias are doing better. I don't think they were eaten, but they did take longer to recover from the end-of-sales-season neglect and being root-bound. They seem to be different colors, so that's cool.
magenta gazania


This one is really nice. It's not fully open. Maybe tomorrow. They close up every night, but the way the petals are curled I think this one just isn't all the way open. I'll check again tomorrow.
red gazania


Something ate the tops off of several plants in the rock garden, so I may need to fence that too. The bird netting seems to work really well when I spend more time to fasten the bottom down with garden staples. I didn't have any garden time while Bernie and Loretta were here, but now I'm back to my own schedule and I did manage to spend a total of an hour in the garden today, plus I made a video someone wanted. Then I had a meeting in the evening. My brain is apparently still flaky post-hike. Hopefully, I will get most things done more or less on time and not miss any programs. It's really bad when you miss a program you are supposed to give. It has happened twice in my life. Totally embarrassing.

See Salad for the Baby Charlie

4 comments:

Ann said...

They all look good. I especially like that last one.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Hmm, I wonder if Chaplin can account for his whereabouts when your flowers got eaten. He has been known to eat things he isn't supposed to. That's why Mama keeps her plumeria flowers under bell jars when she brings them in the house ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- you'll like it even better today!

Charlee- tell Chaplin that eating some plants can be really bad for kittees.

Jeri said...

I think you have a lot of rabbits. They chewed out all my impatients this year except for the ones they couldn’t reach in my containers.