Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 28, 2026

Rockcastle Narrows and Mill Springs

 September 13, 2019. Most of this day was spent hiking a loop called the Rockcastle Narrows. This is on the Rockcastle River that flows into the Cumberland River. Since it was September, the water was low. But in the spring, the high water is forced through a narrow sandstone gorge creating a world-class kayaking run.

We mostly just enjoyed another day in what seemed like Fantasyland. I couldn't get over the pale sandstone and green opalescent water viewed from the shadows of the trees.
rockcastle narrows


The magic did not dissipate even when you got closer.
rockcastle narrows


Portions of the trail followed along steep rock cliffs.
rockcastle narrows trail


This was the first day we saw the Sheltowee Trace turtle logo. I was immediately intrigued. Sheltowee means "Big Turtle" and it was the name given to Daniel Boone by the Shawnee Indians.

We found this big rock turtle!
rock that looks like a turtle


On the way back to the campsite, we visited the Mill Springs Mill which has been restored by the Army Corps of Engineers. This is the world's largest overshot water wheel. That means the water hits the buckets just on the forward side of the top of the wheel. It comes from that squarish sluiceway with the pipe from the stream attached.
Mill Springs mill overshot water wheel


I liked that you could see the gears.
Mill Springs mill waterwheel gears


We were having an extraordinary time, except that we had gotten into the seed ticks the night before and both of us were covered with bites. I did blog about that in 2019 after I got home. In fact, the number of bites made me sick for a day- I think from the anticoagulant they produce. We did not hike the next day. (But we didn't get any nasty diseases)

In other news: Well, I didn't include yesterday's accomplishments because it took me a long time to do the anniversary post, so I'll sort of list everything today, but you've heard most of it before... like every day. I edited hard- trying to get the in-house project to a good place before my trip. I did shopping and errands, I worked on hike plans. Today, just leave out the shopping and errands and put in writing the other column. The shock cord came to fix my tent, so maybe that will be tomorrow. I'm sort of reaching panic stage.

See Natural Arch and Cliffs

No comments: