Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, August 27, 2026

58 Years in the Wayback Machine

 Guess what I was doing 58 years ago today.

The boy on the right carrying the cake is Ron Rickner. I think the boy on the left is Dave Mendoza. The girl? Marie- always there for the important moments of my life since we were 12!
two young men carrying a wedding cake


Let me tell you a little bit about the wedding. The year was 1968. The world was changing big time. Young couples were beginning to have non-traditional weddings. We didn't go that far, but we didn't follow all of the constricting "rules."

I was always disappointing my mother, and the wedding was no exception. She was very unhappy with many of our decisions, but I was stubborn, and in many respects we had things our way. The end result was that neither of us was happy with the ceremony.

However, this looks pretty traditional. I mean... I had the white dress (maybe more on that potential fiasco another year), we had bridesmaids in blue dresses and groomsmen in fancy tuxedos. Om's sister Loretta sang "The Love of God." My dad "gave me away."
couple with a wedding cake


However, by that point in the afternoon, I'd managed to act "normal" and girlish for as long as I could possibly stand it. Please notice that I am cramming the cake all over Om's face. (I really couldn't help myself... everything was just too serious.)
feeding wedding cake to the groom


In retrospect, the actual ceremony means almost nothing to me. I probably should have let Mom plan everything the way she wanted it, and it would have made her happy, and 58 years later, I would not have cared at all.

The crowning "disaster" for Mom's day was that some of the teenagers (yes, Om was already attracting hoardes of teens) set off firecrackers. That part still makes me smile. As I recall, we got back at the instigator by setting off some at his wedding a few years later.

And in keeping with our tradition, we are not celebrating today. We are not even together, not even in the same state, another thing that has almost become traditional. If we'd been able to project how our lifetimes would play out we would have known that finding time for an anniversary in the summer months was going to be nearly impossible. We nearly couldn't fit a wedding into the summer of 1968 as it was. But we did, and here we are.

Well, Om is on a trip south. He was with Loretta just a few days ago. They are only a year apart in age and we are both sorry she lives so far away. (Picture is LORETTA and Om)
siblings


We'll celebrate some time when we are both in the same space. Meanwhile... here's to us. Just too stubborn to give up on each other.

See 55 Years

No comments: