Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Biking Date


bikes on car rack

Om and I had a "date" today. We haven't had time to do anything together all summer. So, we made a plan for one day this week. We put the bikes on my car and headed to Grand Haven.

Lakeshore Connector Trail

We biked part of what is called the Lakeshore Connector Trail. It follows Lakeshore Drive from Grand Haven to Holland for about 20 miles.

Lakeshore Connector Trail

This is an interesting trail. It's not a rail trail, but more like a widened sidewalk, but better. It winds through residential areas, with lots of shade, which made it a really pleasant ride. We rode 9.5 miles and then turned around, so did a total of 19 miles.

Pigeon Lake

This is the view toward Lake Michigan where the trail crosses Pigeon Creek. It looks like it is popular for other kinds of recreation too.

Finally, we went to eat at a Russ', a W. Michigan restaurant franchise. Very uncharacteristically, we both ordered the same thing, a salad with grilled chicken strips and mandarin oranges. It was good, but I thought they could have thrown in a few greens other than just iceberg lettuce. We split a piece of chocolate-cherry cake for dessert. Fun day!



10 comments:

Julia said...

Now that is my kind of date.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

That looks like a real fun time! Beautiful scenery!

Secondary Roads said...

What a great way to spend a day.

Ann said...

sounds like the perfect way to spend the day to me. I haven't been on my bike in forever, I should take it out for a spin.

spinninglovelydays said...

Sounds like an awesome date. My husband and I should try doing something like that sometime. :)

jeanlivingsimple said...

You make me want a bike!

Sharkbytes said...

Julia- It felt so good to be on my bike again, and it's always Om's favorite active passtime.

Karen- We did have fun!

Chuck- the pleasant trail made it easy to enjoy.

Ann- now that is real music to my ears, if I've inspired someone else to "get off the couch"

Ivy- it's really a great change from the everyday kinds of tasks.

Jean- that's great! What are you waiting for?

Rick (Ratty) said...

I nice long bike ride sounds fun. I wish I still had a bike. Years ago I used to ride a bike to work every day because it just made the day more fun.

Loretta said...

How fun...looks like it was a great place to ride....almost makes me want to run out and buy a bike!

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- so how come you don't get one now?

Loretta- You could get one... ride with us. Hey, if I get a new tire on my road bike, you could ride my Mt. bike, and we could all ride together.