Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ruby Meadowhawk

 
ruby meadowhawk dragonfly

Look at this wonderful dragonfly! It was perching on the top of a small flag decorating a grave in the cemetery. Armed with pictures and my dragonfly book (see Amazon Widget at bottom of page), Stokes Beginner's Guide to Dragonflies, I've determined that it is a Ruby Meadowhawk. They like to perch on top of stalks just like this one is doing.

ruby meadowhawk dragonfly

The focus isn't as good on this picture, but I like the way he (yes it's a male) is holding his wings, and you can see the long legs.

ruby meadowhawk dragonfly

Here' my best shot. I love how the red showed up in the sun! These are late season dragonflies, and like to hang around sluggish streams or ponds. This all fits. The genus is Sympetrum, but the book says that exact identification can be difficult even for experts because they can have white faces, or brown, with variations in the wing veins... well... I'll stick with the basics for now. Here's my new fact to remember. It's in the family of "skimmers." Most of the dragonflies we see. The book says they are the "most common, diverse, and easily recognized" dragonflies.

ruby meadowhawk dragonfly

Enjoy!

P.S. I worked all day and got "Get Off the Couch with Joan" done. It's now available as an eBook. It includes ten essays, most were previously published as newspaper columns, chronicling two years of hikes on the North Country Trail.


See Dragonflies

12 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Hope that your day is as charm as the red dragonfly.

Ann said...

I've never seen a dragonfly like that one before. Very interesting. Congrats on finishing that book.

jeanlivingsimple said...

What a pretty dragonfly! I also have never seen a red one. Wishing you success with your new book!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Ruby Meadowhawk - perfectly named.

Cynthia Blue said...

Wow amazing pictures.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Sparkly! And congratulations on the e-book!

Loretta said...

fabulous photos...especially the one showing off his red coloring and gorgeous wings!

Lynne said...

What an amazing color! It's beautiful!

Rick (Ratty) said...

Beautiful pictures of the dragonfly. I love these little helicopter creatures. You got very good shots of the wings.

Sharkbytes said...

Rainfield- red is a powerful color. It worked.

Ann- I think they are fairly common, but don't get noticed as much as early season ones.

Jean- Thanks! I bet you can find a red one. I've seen them fairly often, but never been able to get a picture before.

Carol- yes, for once the name really fits.

Cynthia- it cooperated and sat still!

Dennis- thanks! Tell your human to publish some of his stories.

Loretta- thanks! For once this camera did just what I wanted.

Lynne- Hard to beat that shade for bright!

Ratty- I really like them too. Wish I knew more of their names, but maybe I can learn a few.

Cosmos said...

I see this dragonfly here in India also, halting on the tips of sticks at nearby streams.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Cosmos- My book said that there are varieties of it nearly everywhere!