Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Butter & Eggs, & Cookies

 

linaria vulgaris

Well, I'm really talking about two different things, not all food! One of the things I love about Carol's blog, Duxbury Ramblers, is to compare the plants they have in England with the ones we have here in Michigan. The one above, commonly called Butter and Eggs here, is a toadflax, Linaria vulgaris. It's alien, but has been around for centuries. It's so pretty I can't be too sad, and it doesn't seem to be invasive.
cookies

Now, for the cookies I promised you. The dark ones are Mocha Walnut (with chocolate chips), and the others are Oatmeal Raisin. Now for a tall glass of iced coffee! It's too hot here to think. I don't know how some of you who are farther south can handle this!


See A Favorite Alien
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!





9 comments:

Julia said...

Oh cookies. It's 10:30 and I DONT need any more food.

Funny about the butter and eggs. Ours is a totally different plant called Triphysaria eriantha. It's a native annual herb in the Scrophulariacea. Common names are the root of all evil. LOL. Just kidding! But like you said it is fun to compare them to our state side plants. And considering there is barely any synonymy between the east and west coast that same thing applies for us too. Botany is always fun!

RNSANE said...

Very pretty flowers and I'd love a couple of each variety of cookie.

I'm sitting here with a heated blanket over my shoulders. It hasn't been hot at all this summer in the Daly City - Pacifica area. I keep burning out space heaters in my basement turned bedroom. My normal pajamas are sweat shirt and sweat pants!

Ann said...

Pretty butter and eggs. Don't think I've ever seen them before.
The cookies look really good. It's been plenty hot in northwestern pennsylvania this summer. I don't think I could handle it any hotter.

Russ said...

The flowers are gorgeous. As for the cookies, I could try a couple right now. It has been wicked hot in Conn. plus we are way behind in rain fall. At least it breaks for a couple of days. 80 and dry feels wonderful.

rainfield61 said...

I think everyone of us likes cookies.

They look yummy.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I've only seen pictures of those lovely flowers.
It is not fun being outside for very long in this heat and I must mow today.:(
Those cookies look yummy. I will take a couple!

The Oceanside Animals said...

I'll take the mocha walnut. All of them, I mean.

spinninglovelydays said...

Ooh, those look so good! And I do love the common names of plants - more whimsical. Although Butter and Eggs is downright adorable (to me anyway, lol).

Sharkbytes said...

Julia- I would be TOTALLY lost, plant-wise, if I visited you. That would be fun. You could tell me everything!

Carmen- Feeling cold would be SO great. Maybe we could trade places for a day?

Ann- NW PA, really? Where are you? Heat is awful.

Russ- It's really awful so many places. People don't do well in the heat and humidity. I gripe and feel crummy, but at least I don't have any health problems.

rainfield- I wish I could really teleport some to each of you!

Jean- outside is much better than inside this evening. This week is supposed to be a little cooler, thank goodness!

Dennis- I knew you would, but chocolate is not good for us. But I will eat half of them anyway. You can have the other half. Maggie

Ivy- I know... there is a story in so many of the common names. Not so good for botanists, but great for tall and short tales.