Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dreaming with Frida - Continued


It's been kind of a stressful day, but I'll at least tell you about some things Frida and I discussed.

I need to market myself better. Well, that's no big revelation. But, I think that with the credibility of this 4400-mile accomplishment that I will feel more confident about doing so.

I already have a whole package of programs/seminars that I've given one or more times that could be marketed to groups which are looking for speakers. I've really only tried to get engagements with one of these programs.

Yesterday, I added some of my available programs on Books Leaving Footprints, which is where my programs are listed. But today I went through files, and made a real list of all the outdoor/trail/nature programs I've put together and given over the past few years. I was surprised how many there were. I started standardizing how the descriptions are presented with times, cost, and available adaptations. These need to be rolled into a brochure- print and electronic.

Other ideas I've pursued to bring in some income end up foundering on the fact that I just want to go back to the woods. This is possibly compatible, and I'm very comfortable with public speaking/ leading seminars.

She also gave me an audio book called "The Secret," by Rhonda Byrne. It's a motivational tool. I've read lots of things like that, but I'll take on another one... why not? It can't hurt. I have to admit that I'm pretty discouraged about my inability to bring in an income.

She says that I need to be a lot more aggressive about trying to get my news column in more papers. I've tried some, but when I am turned down I give up easily. Just hearing someone who writes a lot, for many different publications, tell me that I need to push harder is very helpful.

I'm in a strange place between the euphoria of my hike success, and the discouragement of not having enough money to pay my bills. Well, this blog is supposed to be about my quality day... so the positive aspect here is that I think I have a direction in which to move.



11 comments:

Lin said...

It's the quintessential dilemma for writers--we are so afraid of rejection, yet our work just sets us up for it because it is art and is subject to opinions. You HAVE to have confidence and you have to keep sending out your work regardless of its reception. There is going to be someone who loves it and takes it where it should go. You have to have the confidence that it IS good and keep pushing it.

Go, Sharky, GO!!!

Unknown said...

Let go of your fears, your writing will speak for itself, and honestly if a newspaper does not understand why they should include you, they are missing out and letting their readers down.

I am doing something similar to what you are trying, but keeping to online only over at: http://randomstreamoc.blogspot.com/

give it a read, I am up for suggestions and or comments.

have a good day.

-J

Ann said...

The completion of your hike is proof that you CAN do anything that you set your mind to. Believe in yourself and your writing ability like your readers here do.

jeanlivingsimple said...

Listen to your friend(s). A door is about to open for you.

rainfield61 said...

Just do it if you believe in it.

And the rest will come to you.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Give us your opinion on The Secret when you are finished with it. I was given the same book awhile back but I never read it. I've been told it's good, but I've read a lot of things like that before too, some okay and some not so okay.

I think the rest will somehow work out for you, if even in a limited way. Things always seem to work out in some way.

spinninglovelydays said...

Any publication would be blessed to have your column. You have the talent, the knowledge, the experience, the credentials... You have so much to offer. Go for it! :)

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- I sure need to make better effort to make my columns earn their keep.

Hi J- I like your blog a lot, and know many of the places you have written about.

Ann- Thanks... this blog is really "just me" chatting. My writing is a bit more organized, so hopefully it's even better.

Jean- Here's to open doors!

rainfield- yup... I'm getting set to run with it this fall

Ratty- I will review The Secret, maybe on Just Throw Money. I listened to the first chapter this morning. It comes from a worldview I don't subscribe to, but I am going to try to listen to it anyway to glean the parts that are good.

Ivy- Well! all I can wish is that editors had your enthusiasm.

To all of you- Thanks for your confidence... and you mostly just read my day-to-day yakking, not writing where I try to come to a point or use words in particularly interesting ways. You are great!

The Retired One said...

Ah shucks...wish I knew you were going by, we could've met and had coffee or something!! I borrowed the CD of the SECRET...it is a stretch, but I have heard it works for so many people..the vision board is most important to paste on it what you truly want...I really feel it is about opening up one's self to positive karma and letting it occur and believing you deserve and want it. Give it a try..it can't hurt!

RNSANE said...

I can certainly relate to not being able to pay the bills, Shark. Now, at eighteen months since my job loss, I am really at a critical point. I was earning a huge amount of money in the past - my last year of employment, my before tax earnings were $140,000 -of course, I worked an incredible number of hours...and I paid $40,000 in taxes - and my rent, alone, is $2325/month with utilities about $500. My retirement income, after taxes, is under $45,000 - no change in the rent,etc. I am at the point where I can't make any more payments, all savings have long been gone and I'm starting to sell off everything I can. Scary, as I will be 66 in October.

Sharkbytes said...

Joan- That would have been fun. I knew you are in the UP, but I didn't know where. Maybe another time... I do get up that way occasionally.

Carmen- Yikes! I think you have a problem there. Hope you figure out something to do...