Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 20, 2010

More Food and Those Who are Enjoying It


canopy tent

I actually have time to catch my breath today, so I will explain this whole crazy food week a little better. This is a "Volunteer Adventure," organized by the North Country Trail Association, and hosted by our chapter, Spirit of the Woods. People have signed up to come work on a big trail project for a whole week (or parts of one). They are volunteers; no one is paid. But they are fed by the host group. That's where I come in.

I haven't been able to do very much for my chapter the past couple of years, as I was off hiking so much. So when I learned that we were hosting this work week, and that it was after I would be home, I said I would cook for them. I knew it would be a big job... but that's ok.

Pictured above is a canopy borrowed from another group. It hasn't rained yet, but this would have been a lifesaver if it had, and it also provides shade.

people at picnic table

So, every day I am going to the site at about 6 pm with the next 24 hours of food in my car. That is supper, breakfast, stuff for them to pack their own lunches and morning snack, and an afternoon snack for when they finish work. I set up dinner, serve and clean up when everyone is done. Then I have been staying overnight, cooking breakfast and putting out the lunch stuff. Then I pack it all up (can't leave food out in the open in a camp site!), come home and get the next 24 hours worth of food done again. The trip is 22 miles one way.

I know this just looks like a bunch of people at a picnic table to you! But these folks have worked all day digging post holes, sawing boards, drilling holes, and bolting them in place. The project is more of the boardwalk we've been building for 2 years. There's a link below for more about it, and I'll show you some pix of the new work next week, but I haven't even had time to go out there, with this food project! Oh, this is where Vicky and I went for the frog walk.

snickerdoodle cookies

The food is winding down now. Most people are going home tonight or in the morning, although some are staying through Sunday morning. Today I made snickerdoodles for the last lunch bags. The main course is going to be hamburgers. Big hamburgers!

apple crisp

The dessert tonight is apple crisp. I'm glad I've tortured you all, all week. It's been kind of fun!


See Getting Sterling Marsh Out of the Mud
See Vicky and Joan Go Frogging


9 comments:

Loretta said...

yes, you have tortured me with all the delicious looking dishes and sweets! Thanks for the explanation...I'm sure the crew accomplished a lot this week on the energy you provided....

Ann said...

I've enjoyed every second of it. You've fed us all this food and I haven't gained an ounce...lol I haven't made snickerdoodles in years.

spinninglovelydays said...

Sounds like it was a week well spent, and for us it meant getting to see all that wonderful food. :)

jeanlivingsimple said...

Yeah...you have added a few inches to my waistline by postings your yummy looking food. Thanks alot.:)

Great event to be a part of. I'm sure they appreciate your cooking!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

I love the food names, they all look so yummy.
I think I could have enjoyed working out there for a while.

RNSANE said...

I'm getting started on a weekend of catch up!!! I'm so behind on blogs and comments. Goodness, you're staying constantly busy. It's so nice that you've volunteered for this cooking gig!! I know that is very much appreciated. Now that is something that would be kind of fun, I think. I'd be able to do that - cooking and cleaning up, even if I'm not much of a hiker!!

Lin said...

It looks so good! It's great that you volunteered for that job, I'll bet they really appreciated you!

Rick (Ratty) said...

I think you must like all the same food I do. Apple crisp is one of the things my grandma used to make whenever she would come to visit us. It seemed like the best stuff ever.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Loretta- well, you have a good chance of sampling one or more of these items at some point!

Ann- I think I have gained more than an ounce. I'm sure not used to having so much food around.

Ivy- Yes, I was very happy to be useful.

Jean- I think your waist was safe. Mine, not so much.

Carol- there were a couple of gals who worked. I felt weird not being out there on the team, but the cooking was important too.

Carmen- It would have been great fun to have you here to do it all with me!

Lin- I got a couple of hugs out of the deal!

Ratty- I'm glad you like so many of these dishes. That's one of the best things about doing the cooking. I only made things I like!