Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Daddy Yashiro's Blogoversary


I don't enter very many blog contests, but I'm going to do this one because Yashiro has become a friend. He was planning a contest to celebrate three years of blogging and a new baby, all neatly timed to keep things organized. But baby Gelo came early, and gave everyone a scare or two as he had a little trouble breathing. But he's now doing well. He joins big brother, Maki. For 5 entries to the raffle, I have to post a picture of my family. He says,"Be creative in showing your happy family together. Blog about how you feel about your family."

Well, our family is pretty odd. The oldest lived with us first, but the youngest became ours first, the middle one came last and became ours last. We were only all together for a little over one year.

three boys, first day of school


The picture I am choosing to show you is the "first day of school picture" 1977. Sam was a senior, Josh was entering first grade, and little Steve was headed off to Head Start. It's odd how Sam's jumpsuit looks pink. It was really a heathery cranberry color. He picked the fabric and I made it. I also made the overalls that Josh is wearing. You can see more about that in the post Joshua Turns 40

I did make clothes for Steve that year, but his first day of school wasn't the same as for the public school. I didn't really think about the dynamics of the picture taking, and he didn't want to be left out of the picture with the big guys, so he was just wearing play clothes that day.

We don't hear from Sam any more. Josh you see from time to time, since he lives nearby. Steve is off in New York City working for an advertising agency.

While the boys were growing up, family was my full-time job, and I gave it everything I had. But I have to be honest and say that I don't really experience any empty-nest syndrome. I'm glad they are grown up, and don't require all my time. But they sure did grow up fast! Of course, when Steve and Josh were both in elementary school I thought those years would never end. Funny how one's perspective changes.

Now I'm supposed to add some code for the entry.
This is my entry for Daddy Yashiro's Journal's 3rd Blogoversary Contest: A BLOG A BABY.Come and join there are lots of prizes to be won.

A BIG THANK YOU to all the sponsors! For the participants take time to visit them.



Hop on over, and you can enter too!



12 comments:

sir rob said...

I could see little Steve now..!! Time runs so fast.!!

BTW, I did not won in the domain contest but a twist of faith came right after and won in a different contest..!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Good luck to the contest, Sharkbytes, and children do grow up so fast.

john bain said...

I had no idea there were blogging competitions.
I once made some dungarees for my Son when he was little. Don't think they turned out this well though.

Ann said...

No empty nest syndrome here either. I'm loving it :) Sure I miss them but in a you haven't "visited" in a while sort of way....lol

Daddy Yashiro said...

Thanks for joining in my contest. I do hope that the pictures brings back good old happy memories.

By the way thank you very much for those kind words about me and my family I pray that more blessing will come to you and your family. God bless!

Blogging Park said...

Happy to see you in the contest sharkbytes.Again your happy family pictures reminding me my baby Adrija.She is now out of city with her grandpa,so I am not posting any happy pictures.Well I yet participating in the contest.

betchai said...

time goes by fast indeed and kids we before knew were now all grown up. glad to know you did not feel the "empty nest" syndrome, i guess, because unlike others who suffered from it, you are a very active person.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I feel like I'm not that old, but it seems as if time has gone by in a flash since my nieces and nephews were little. Two of them are grown now.

Lin said...

I have empty nest syndrome--big time! And mine aren't really gone yet!! Maybe I will grow out of it, but I don't want them to leave yet.

I like that photo of your kids! Isn't it funny how fast it goes?!

Sharkbytes said...

borris- glad to hear you got something! Yes, Seth reminds me of Steve.

Icy- Flash... they are gone.

John- There are lots and lots of blog contests. Some people like them quite a bit and enter as many as possible.

Ann- I'm totally on your wavelength on this one.

Yashiro- thanks for stopping by. I didn't realize how pertinent my choice was- with school just starting for you at this time of year, and Maki's first day.

Blogging Park- borris' baby is on vacation too. Is this just a normal thing?

betchai- I am not very wrapped up in other people's lives (read I am a bit selfish) so I like being able to chase my own dreams.

Ratty- Glad you have nieces and nephews to keep you thinking young, but even they grow up.

Lin- I'm not surprised- you are really wrapped up in your kids' activities, and they like to have you around, too.

RNSANE said...

Well, I do hope you are the contest winner!

You raised three boys, too! I am so glad mine are grown and doing well. I am thrilled with my lovely daughter-in-law as well. Hopefully, I'll get a grandchild to go along with the two granddogs.

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- I'm not sure we raised them. I think we had some influence as they were going by. At least that's true of the two oldest. We had Steve from babyhood.