Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Cow Vetch


photo label

There are SO many vetches, and they are SO hard to understand. I think this one is cow vetch, Vicia cracca. Note how the blossoms grow on only one side of the stem. I was surprised at how attractive the patch of it looked.
photo label

It was growing quite vertically. Although it's not as "messy" as the hairy vetch, it has tendrils that will grab any nearby grass, tree, etc and create a tangled mass of vegetation. But this patch looks quite neat. Here are the leaves.
photo label

Ellen and I got together today and did a variety of things. The weather has gone from 95 degrees on Monday to 57 and raining today. We need the rain, and I like it cool, but what a change!

I have lots of flower pictures, projects, birds, etc. And who knows what I'll select for tomorrow- I only promise that it will be something good!


See Canadian Milk Vetch?
See Leguminosae... OK, Pea Family


13 comments:

rainfield61 said...

All the flowers, birds, etc are surprises to me!!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I love the wild cow vetch. I add it to bouquets … and the little tendril tips in salads! Enjoy the post-hot cool weather (I know I am!)!

Secondary Roads said...

Good rain here yesterday, but the weather has triggered the arthritis and I don't like that.

john bain said...

It is always something good.

Ann said...

the cow vetch is very pretty.
We had 95 degree weather the other day also and then temps dropped. Not as low as 57 though. we were supposed to have rain but never got it

Unknown said...

Apparently you can now get hold of a garden vetch. These are significantly larger than the wild varieties. I have seen one in a plant book but never first at hand .. so I would love to see just how large they and their blossoms are.

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- I'll have more surprises for you soon. Just did a little family post for the contest.

Rose- that's good to know. I read that it's both edible and toxic, so I suppose you have to be moderate.

Chuck- sorry about the arthritis. We needed the rain though.

John- thank you! It's nice to see you often.

Ann- we needed the rain pretty badly, so I'm glad we got quite a lot.

Polly- well the attractiveness of this one has me feeling suspicious, but it was just in a field by the roadside, so...

Anonymous said...

This is such a pretty flower, and the color is so soft looking. Wild flowers are just beautiful.

Ferd said...

I love that first photo! Beautiful!

Lin said...

The weather is weird here too! One minute we are boiling, the next, FREEZING! It's crazy!

Sharkbytes said...

Icy- It seems too pretty for the weedy plant it is. I'm wondering if it's a hybrid.

Ferd- Once in a while I get lucky!

Lin- Variety is good, right?

RNSANE said...

Do cows eat it? How did it get this name? If it's a weed, it sure is lovely - as are many weeds!

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- well, it has some cyanide in it so people shouldn't eat much. But cows can deal with it because of their multiple stomachs. I don't know if that's why it's named cow vetch.