Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Old and New (and Brown)


Out doing some work assignments today. These are the two things that caught my eye the most. I seem to have a color theme going on in posts this week.

First, the closeups. Can you picture the whole from these hints?

chevy 3100 logo

calf head

I bet you have a pretty good idea of what you are going to see next. First is a 1947 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. This side was getting more sun and you can see more of the original color. Pretty nifty! I'm calling this "Old." Of course if you were born in 1947 or earlier you might want to dispute that.

1947 chevy 3100

Did you guess what the little guy was up to? This isn't a cattle breed that I see a lot of. I think it's a red poll, but any farm bloggers with real knowledge, feel free to weigh in. I do know that he's pretty new to the world.

nursing calf

It rained a lot today- cooled down and felt nice.



18 comments:

spinninglovelydays said...

My husband would love to restore a truck like that, and that's a sweet shot of the calf nursing.

The weather there sounds nice. It's very muggy again here these days, the usual case when there's some crazy storm brewing over the nearby waters.

shengy said...

my buddy love that truck as well

GoodiesNBadies said...

nice truck

john bain said...

That is a nice truck. 1947. Yes I do believe a lot of good things came out of that year. What year was I born..? Oh yes I remember.

Secondary Roads said...

Absolutely could picture the whole.

Grandma's Goulash said...

That calf took me back to my childhood. We thought it was pretty cool to get calves to suck on our fingers. Although now, I can't imagine why!

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

You just got spammed by GAMMABLIXT/swingsingle Irritating, huh?

I think the cow is a mixture. but the truck is pure bred American and gorgeous.
nellie

sir rob said...

I love the chevy truck and that would be outstanding when restored. It's vintage. But the weather here is oven hot again.

Rek Sesh said...

These are some lovely natural pictures of things around you.

Emma Springfield said...

From the old Chevy (my age) to new life. It is a wonderful contrast.

rainfield61 said...

A good discovery from the ordinary.

betchai said...

i love that picture of the 1947 chevy and the nursing mom and baby.

Unknown said...

Poll is a term for a hornless cow. The red poll is naturally hornless rather than having its horns sawn down. I don't know a great deal about them other than they are an ancient breed of cattle that are excellent milk and beef cattle as well as being very docile.

In Britain the Queen is the Patron of the Red Poll Cattle Society.

If you would like to check the breed then the Society website is: http://www.redpoll.org/

Sharkbytes said...

Ivy- I know I would not be able to tolerate your weather. I don't know how you can stand it.

shengy- old trucks certainly are fascinating to many people.

Goodies- those classic trucks just make you want to fondle them!

John- ha! I missed '47 by a few months, but it was a good year!

Chuck- I know, it was really easy, but it wasn't really a quiz.

Grandma- Well, it feels so primal- I remember that too.

Hi Garden- I deleted the spam. Thanks for weighing in on the cow. Could be a mix, but this farm seems to have a small herd of them.

borris- the appeal of making such a classic truck look nice again is undeniable. Sorry about the heat.

Rek- Thanks for stopping by. I like to find the best of all the natural things.

Emma- It would be interesting if the trucks could birth some new ones every year, eh?

rainfield- yes, I see many fewer 1947 trucks than I do cows or flowers or bugs.

betchai- the little guy was very busy- didn't care that I was watching one little bit

Polly- thanks for the info. these seem a bit too brown (although some of the pictured red polls were brown), but the head shape etc is right.

Ferd said...

Love that truck! Someone needs to give it some TLC!

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ferd- I suspect it will get some. It was in the yard of a very nice home.

RNSANE said...

That little calf is too cute!

Is that truck still runnning? It looks pretty ancient - sort of like how I feel!

Ann said...

Very cool truck. I like the way they made them back then..