Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Red & White (Pines)


So many interesting things have been coming my way lately that it's hard to choose what to share. But I'm going to sneak back to Friday for a minute. Ellen and I had another excellent day. It started out rainy, and we did some handicrafting at her house, and had a wonderful asparagus pastry for lunch.

Then we decided that, rain or not, we were going to get in the car and go exploring. Are you ready for this? We found a whole new place to play with lots of hiking possibilities! I'll tell more as we learn more.

The rain let up just long enough for us to sneak in a little hike. I just snapped a few pictures, and didn't realize what a nice set this is until tonight.

First is red pine, showing off the reason for its name. In certain lights, the bark looks really red. This is a pine plantation, as so much red pine is in Michigan. It was planted a lot in the 1930s by the CCC, and is now being harvested. This stand looks a little younger, maybe from the 1950s.

red pine plantation

While we were walking a trail (no names, some former forest road numbers) we passed this wonderful old white pine. There are only a few of this size left that escaped the clearcut logging around 1900. This baby is probably 120 years old at least. I should have put Ellen beside it for scale.

white pine


Tall pines are awesome trees!


See Walking at Ward Hills for more red pine
See The Wagon Road for another big white pine


11 comments:

jeanlivingsimple said...

I have never seen or heard or a Red Pine. Are they native to NA?
White Pines grow here. Great photos of both trees.

Ferd said...

Both of these pictures are spectacular. The red pine pic is artistic!

Unknown said...

That white pine is awesome. And the plantation of Reds reminds me of a place that borders some property that my grandparents own. Very cool!

Secondary Roads said...

Great pix! The renew good memories of similar scenes from our native state. Thanks!

john bain said...

Because you mentioned asparagus I thought the red pines were an asparagus field at first. I've got my proper glasses on now.

Ann said...

oh that first photo is just awesome. I've always loved white pines but I don't think I've ever seen a red pine. I know I've never seen a white pine that huge either

betchai said...

my heart beat so fast in seeing the first photo, awesome pattern Sharkbytes, really love it.

Sharkbytes said...

Jean- yes, red pines are native. I think the south has more yellow pine.

Ferd- As much as I dislike those monocultures, and most forests no longer do such plantings, when the light is right they really are beautiful.

John- so many red pine plantations here, of course, and they all look alike.

Chuck- yup- very northern!

John- that would be one awesome asparagus crop!

Ann- I think you have red pine there, but there were lots more planted here where the white pines were harvested.

betchai- when you walk through those tall straight trunks in even rows you can just unfocus your eyes and the whole forest makes moire patterns

Duxbury Ramblers said...

That's a lot of trees and they make a fantastic photo. Love the old tree - I hope you gave it a hug.

RNSANE said...

Here in the San Francisco area, there aren't many huge tall trees. Yours are lovely.

When I think of old, tall trees, I miss the South. Of course, there are huge pines but, also, the ancient oaks that grace many Southern plantations and the huge magnolias with hundreds of blossoms.

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- I always stop for the old white pines. They just seem to sing.

Carmen- Yes, I think of oaks when I think of the south, but I don't know those trees as well.