Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 2, 2012

A Day in the Woods

 
I decided I should check my section of trail this weekend. "My" section means the piece of the North Country Trail that I maintain. It's eight miles long.

I really thought it might be a big mess because we did get quite a lot of big wind as a result of Sandy. So I asked Om if he could spot me so I didn't have to hike both directions, and he agreed.

At 9:30, I was walking into this lovely view.

trail in sun

For some really strange reason, there were very few branches down on the trail. I spent most of the time just flipping small sticks away. There was one 8" oak down that I cut out, and the 4" red pine it had fallen on. Later I found another 5" tree that I had to saw.

Just past halfway, I arrived at this boardwalk.

trail boardwalk

This was the first big project our chapter built, 14 years ago. It's accessible at each end, and we know that some wheelchair users have visited. Although the rain was pretty much over before I started walking, the woods was quite wet, and it was nice to have a dry place to sit and eat lunch. (Have I mentioned lately that dry feet are over-rated?)

The boardwalk is extra special to me. While we were building it, Chips died. I ran away to Marie's house for a week; I did not take that event well. When I got back, the chapter had voted to dedicate the project to Chips, and the Forest Service actually approved.

dedication sign to Chips

About 1/4 mile before the end of my section I thought I was out of luck. There was a large log across the trail, about 12 inches in diameter. I can't cut that with a small bow saw!
However, when I got there, it was just a section of a broken tree that had fallen. Still, I probably couldn't move it alone. Guess what! It was rotten, and I managed to roll it off the trail.

My whole section is clear!

See Ellen and Joan Go to Dead Horse Marsh
if you like this blog, click the +1  

6 comments:

rainfield61 said...

A day in the woods, with a saw, knife or so in your hands.

That is great.

Secondary Roads said...

That trail is so inviting. How neat is it that they dedicated that portion of the trail to Chips.

Unknown said...

How lovely to have a memorial and a picture of your dog on your bit of the trail, Joan. Keep up the good work.

Ann said...

it was a good and successful day. All clear and not much to get it that way.

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- one of my favorite things!

Chuck- as you are working your way through my book, you are learning what a special pup he was.

Jean- I should get out there more often than I do, so it was nice that there weren't any big surprises

Ann- yup, I got off easy!

spinninglovelydays said...

What a sweet memorial to your beloved Chips! I really enjoyed reading about your hiking travails with him.