If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Thursday, November 15, 2012

My First Rainbow

 
Seriously? Well, it seems to be the first one I've posted on a blog. I suppose I think they are trite, even though they are beautiful.

This one was a bit odd, though. It hadn't rained at all. Nor snowed. I had finished my last assignment yesterday and was headed home. I was in Ludington, and had to find a place where I could get off the street and still see the color to take a picture.

You might think the "burned out" part of the image is the sun showing through the clouds. Not so. The sun was a good 15 degrees away from the rainbow. I don't know why that one spot was so bright.

Next odd part. This was all there was of it. It was more like a rain-spot. That doesn't sound as pleasant as rain-bow, though, does it? Sounds more like a puddle.

It was sort of a color puddle in the sky.

OK, enough build-up. Here is is.

rainbow

Vanilla and Chuck suggested this is a sun dog. So, today I have learned something new. The red side of a sun dog is toward the sun, so that is exactly what it is. I always thought the blue side was toward the sun, but the light is refracted (through ice in the atmosphere) rather than reflected, so the colors are reversed.

Thanks, guys! I love learning things.

if you like this blog, click the +1  

7 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Lovely capture of the rainbow. It is always a treat for me to see a rainbow. Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend!

vanilla said...

We called that phenomenon a "sundog." It would be 22 degrees from the sun.

rainfield61 said...

It looks more like a worm up there.

A rainbow worm.

Secondary Roads said...

You were looking at a sundog. Sometimes that white blob is part of that phenomenon. The sun would have been 180 removed if that were a rainbow. Anyway, it a nice pic. Thanks.

vanilla said...

Still it is a great sight and, nice capture!

Sharkbytes said...

To all- this IS a sundog, and I wish I'd taken a longer view that showed more of the sky in perspective. O well... next time. Sun dogs are pretty common, supposedly. I've seen quite a few, but most didn't have such good color.

Ann said...

rainbow or sundog it sure is pretty.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin