Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 16, 2012

Star Wars: the Cold Insurgency

 
The theme of the day is "the cold that won't give up." Yes, the runny nose, and cough and sore throat are back. I can't seem to shake this stupid thing.

So I settled in with... Star Wars.

Star Wars movies and books

Since the recent purchase of the rights for episodes 7-9 by Disney, I decided I'd get busy and read the books for those stories. I don't read much sci-fi fantasy, but I do love Star Wars.

I'm only a third of the way into Heir to the Empire (episode 7), and was already needing to get people and places back in my head for the series. I can't count how many times I've seen the middle three movies (the earliest ones filmed), but I'm less well-acquainted with the first three, chronologically.

Solution: settle in with movies. I watched The Phantom Menace (episode 1) and Attack of the Clones (episode 2). I never could follow the plot of that one. However, watching it while reading the plot on Wikipedia made it all make sense.

I fell in love with the stories in 1977 when Star Wars (A New Hope episode 4, although no one ever calls it that), came out. Based on the date it came out, we had all three boys, although I have no memory of Joshua being with us when we saw it. I do remember that Steve was two years old, and we had concerns about how he would react. He loved it. And that was when they didn't clear the theater between showings. We sat and watched it through a second time right then.

The film technology was so cutting edge and we were amazed at how realistic Yoda was (his ears moved!), and what bold girl couldn't fall in love with Princess Leia- a girl who toted a gun and knew how to use it? And she held her own against the flip Han Solo.

We're all so used to CGI being used to make any fantastic thing look ordinary now. But the original movies were a jump into hyperspace with realistic creatures and spaceships.

OK. That's how I spent my quality day today.

if you like this blog, click the +1  

3 comments:

vanilla said...

Great that you can find quality in your day even when you are not well.
The problem with CGI is that the lines between reality and fantasy are so blurred that one's mind can be easily tricked into believing the fantastic. Okay for fictional movies, but in advertising...

Ann said...

Believe it or not I have never seen any of the star wars movies

RNSANE said...

Star Wars was/is wonderful but I don't think I've seen all the episodes. I also loved the original Star Trek series.