If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Well, Well Cover

 
Well, about all I did today was vote and cover the well pit. I had ideas of other tasks, but I turned into a slug after this job was done.

On Sunday, I drew up plans for a nice cover with a roof and entrance hatch. Then I figured out what it would cost. Hmmm.

The previous cover was just plywood. I thought it had foam insulation, too. It SHOULD have had foam. Freezing the pump is very bad.

Here's the ugly mess. Just a flat space with an accompanying pile of rotted wood and foam from previous covers.

well pit cover

All I did was put two inches of foam on the whole thing (this foil backed foam was on sale- that was awesome!)

well pit cover

Then I covered the whole thing with heavy plastic and anchored it with rocks and cement blocks.

well pit cover

That's about as non-technical of a project as you can imagine. But it's done. Oh yeah, I washed three sinks-full of dishes. They do pile up when there's not easy water.

See Thankful for Water
if you like this blog, click the +1  

3 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

It may be non-technical, but that doesn't mean not important. We used to cover the well pit we had back then with a sheet of plastic and bales of straw. Never had a pump problem.

Ann said...

when it comes to a job like that as long as it works that's good enough

Sharkbytes said...

Chuck- I have done straw sometimes, but the foam is easier if it has to be opened, and lasts more than one year.

Ann- It works- quite well until the sun begins to degrade everything.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin