Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 30, 2012

Answers to Vocabulary Game

 
vocabulary dayAnswers to this month's vocabulary additions.

If you don't care much about the real meanings, check yesterday's comments for some great daffynitions from Chuck!


1. Pullulating
b. experiencing a growth spurt, spreading
from the Latin pullulare to spread out. It can also mean to teem or swarm

2. Pederast
a. one who practices sodomy (particularly man and boy)
from the Greek paidos a boy and eros love. Not such a nice word, but there it was in the book I was reading

3. Harled
a. a wall coated with lime
b. dragged forcefully
c. snarled
d. made of filaments like cable or a braid
It means all of those! It comes from Middle English harl to drag or scrape. I'm not sure how it evolved to the braided strand thing. It can also be a barb of a feather used on a fly for fishing. I may have heard it in this context. And, it also means to split the hind leg of a carcass (between the two leg bones) so you can hang it to draw and dress it. How interesting that there is actually a word for that. For a word with so many meanings, you would think it might be used more often

4. Quotidian
d. daily
from the Latin quotidianus daily. It often refers to a daily return of a fever, such as with malaria.

5. Prole
c. a common person
This is apparently slang for a member of the proletariat, the lowest class of persons in Rome, and now refers to the working class.

I'm in Grand Rapids (Lowell, actually) with Maggie. Tonight was the NCTA Christmas party for board and staff. I'm neither, but I got invited, and I'm delighted to see these people. There were about 25 people stuffed into Bruce & Linda's house. These are just a few of them. We are all folks who are in love with the North Country Trail. (And Bruce is a fantastic cook!)





See Vocabulary Day
See Last Night and Today with the NCTA
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Well dummy me had forgotten it was a game and didn't realize it yesterday.

I will play next week. Oh my thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures from the Christmas party.

I haven't done any decorating whatsoever. I am hoping when Pam, our middle daughter, gets here next weekend that we can get some decorations up!

It looks like you had a great time. I love the fireplace picture!!
Happy day!

Ann said...

When I was here yesterday I had no idea I was a prole. Thankfully I don't know anyone who is a pederast

Secondary Roads said...

Next you'll tell us that the Roman ships set to sea with the crews singing, "Prole, Prole, Prole your boat . . ." But, once again, I could be wrong about that too. Am I?

Sharkbytes said...

Jackie- No problem... it was only a game if you wanted it to me. I sure haven't done any decorating. I just go to visit people who have!

Ann- yes, those P words are tricky, pick which one you want to be carefully!

Chuck- Maybe it's a Scottish Venetian, Prole, Prole, Prole your gondola.

Anonymous said...

Yet it's not a good idea to get carried away and make the blog about your family or outside interests. You have to find the right balance, and with practice you'll discover it. A good rule of thumb is: if you wouldn't say it in an email to a client, it shouldn't go up on your company's blog.

[url=http://cheapnfljerseys168.nichesite.org/]cheap nfl jerseys[/url]


You can draw inspiration from others, but make sure you instill your blog with your own personality as well!

[url=http://jerseys2015.talk4fun.net/]Wholesale NFL Jerseys[/url]