Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Snowbird

 
Just another in my little series of flamingos to give you a chuckle. The picture is from last summer. The bird sure wouldn't show up here today.

white flamingo ornament

In case you are curious, this is the 18th different silly ornamental flamingo I've featured. No duplicates yet. I guess that's what fascinates me the most about this series. I had always assumed there was one mold and the lawn ornaments were all alike. Instead, I have discovered various commercial molds, all sorts of artisan variations, and other decorative uses for the birds.

Did you know that the plastic ones have only been around since 1957? I'll bet there are as many of them as there are real ones.

Just looked that up. There are five species of flamingo worldwide, with a total population of possibly 5 million. I'd be truly surprised if there are fewer plastic ones than that.

See Flamingo Posts
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

Ann said...

I wonder if, when they first came out with the plastic flamingos, if they ever realized just how popular they would become. There's even a country western song called Pink Flamingos

Secondary Roads said...

There's a house on the edge of a nearby town. The front lawn is populated by plastic flamingos and plastic flowers. I've wanted to capture an image of that with a covering of snow. However, that probably not a good idea.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I think it was a "no clue" thing, and yet it went on to win the 1996 Ig Nobel Prize for Art (a parody thing).

Chuck- why not? Tacky is the new chic