Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Blue

 
It's really difficult to find flowers that are true blue. They tend to wander off toward purple. But I think these displays capture blue blue.

The color you place with blue makes a big difference in its perception. Here is a pale blue grape hyacinth with white tulips. Since I think blue and white together is close to perfection, you can be quite certain I liked this. (Possibly Muscari botryoides)

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - blue

Here, the blue stands out because its been paired with real purple. This is another of the displays based on color like the green one shown yesterday. Blue is for "Genesis... Awakening... Arise..." Larkspur are the blue here.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - blue

Next up is a kind of goofy display. I liked it, but an awful lot of people didn't. This was part of the same display as the orange from a few days ago with neon tubes. The point of the displays was how people interacted with plants. The stacks of painted paper plates look to me sort of like ancient crinoid stems (fossil plants). Blue and purple are mixed. There are various blue/purple flowers tucked in beside the stacks.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - blue
If you are thinking of a classic garden and say "blue," someone is sure to answer "delphinium." And sure enough, we have some.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - blue

I'm pretty sure this is Corydalis flexuosa, blue fumitory. I couldn't find a label. And the picture is not in focus. Bummer on so many levels! It is a beautiful pale blue and delicate, perhaps the variety 'China blue.'

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - blue

Finally, this Anemone coronaria 'Mister Fokker' won a red ribbon in its class.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - blue

I hope you are enjoying the colors. It's still gray and brown here.

In other news: I did laundry and hung the clothes outside today. They did get dry even though it was cold. Love that fresh outdoor scent. I worked on North Country Quest in the morning, and then wrote something for North Star in the afternoon. Took a 3 mile walk. That pretty much does in the day.

See Green
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Gray and brown here too so yes, I'm really enjoying all the color. Blue is my favorite so I love all of these. I have no idea what that last is. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it