Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniature Settings

 
This category of contest at the Philadelphia Flower Show is one of my favorites. The idea is to create a miniature setting that incorporates plant material into a scene so that it looks natural- or in the case of fantasy, fits the mood.

You need to be close to these exhibits to adequately view them. There is a roped off line so that people can't just crowd in, and I always stand in line patiently because I think they are worth seeing.

This year's overall theme was "What's the Story? - Interpret a book or poem where the garden is the key to the story."

There were a total of 12 settings, and I sure don't know all of the stories. But I do know good modeling when I see it. It's really impossible to get pictures without reflections in them, so just try to ignore the light spots and shadowy silhouettes of people.

The scenes were judged in two groups, so I'll bring you the first group today.

This blue ribbon went to "The Garden of Stubborn Cats." There are 18 different species of plants used.

The judges said, "It's the cat's meow."

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

And a close-up of the detail.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

Two entries tied for second place. One was "The Hobbit- Escape to Bag End," with 20 species of plant.

The judges said: "Exquisite escape."

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

And a close-up of the detail.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

The other second place went to "The Magician's Garden." It had 19 plant species.

The judges said: "Magical. Beautiful miniature setting. Lucky dog." Apparently in the story, dogs that wander into this garden are changed into ducks.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

And a close-up of the detail.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

Third place was "The Hermitage at Sidley Park." (a book I think I want to read, based on the short synopsis given) There are 17 plant species.

The judges said: "Chosen components create an inviting refuge. Background confusing to overall setting."

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

And a close-up of the detail.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019- Miniatures

The other two in this group tied for fourth place, but I'm not going to show you these, because they were considerably less attractive and well done.

You know that if I were ever going to enter a flower show, this would probably be my category of choice.

In other news: I wrote in the morning. Took my walk (two days ago in the rain, yesterday in the snow, today it was only cold) and tried to order a book through inter-library loan, but they can't get it! Whoever heard of that? Then I started reading a book I am going to review in my next newspaper column.

Maybe tomorrow I'll talk myself into cleaning up some of the mess here. Maybe not.

See Interiorscapes
See 2015 Miniatures
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Oh I like these. I can see why the first one took a blue ribbon.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Those are all very pretty miniatures! However, we have an issue with the name 'The Garden of Stubborn Cats'."
Chaplin: "Yes, we're not stubborn. We just know what we want and we're always right. Because we're cats."
Charlee: "So we think it should be changed to 'The Garden of Cats Who Are Just Waiting for the Humans to Finally Get a Clue' or something like that."