Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, March 22, 2019

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - Green

 
You might think that at something like the Philadelphia Flower Show, entirely dedicated to plants, that green would be too obvious. But there are many shades of green. It was hard, but I picked just a few to showcase today.

The darling of the 2019 show was a new variety of Hellebore, the Lenten Rose, that has a greenish white flower. It's nestled here with some small hybrid roses with dark green foliage, dusty miller, foamflower, and a maroon Heuchera.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - green

I liked this selection of greens not only for the various shades, but the shapes. It's part of the World Cup exhibit by the UK.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - green

Next up is a startling yellow-green fern. Not only the color is startling. This is a Boston Fern, Nephrolepis exaltata. But it's a finely cut cultivar called 'Suzi Wong.' Weird!

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - green

For varieties of green it was hard to been this topiary turtle with so many succulents. I really liked this one. It only took second place in the topiaries, probably because the winner was a classic one with ivy over a frame that was exquisitely done, with no bare spots. But, I still like the turtle.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - green

This next bouquet comes from a commercial florist exhibit that had one display for each color with motivational words. For green they chose things like Accomplishment, Victory, Climbing the Mountain, Glory, etc.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - green

Green can be so many things. This succulent won a ribbon in its class. It's a cross between a Gastera and an Aloe, called, duh, Gasteraloe. This variety is 'Green Ice.' I like it!

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - green

For a parting shot, we'll go to dark green and fuzzy. This is a Petrocosmea rosettifolia, and this specimen won a blue ribbon. I had to look this up to find out more about it. It's a relative of the African Violet, but comes from China. When it blooms, it has beautiful asymmetrical flowers on stems that grow up from the rosette. But I would consider even the leaves very attractive.

Philadelphia Flower Show 2019 - green

It was hard to pick just a few, but you'll see more beautiful variations on green in some other categories I hope to share. It's still cold and gloomy here. Very windy today.

In other news: I finished taking notes from the tape I've been working on this morning, and cleaned up the living room in the afternoon. Just for a moment I had a strong urge to clear and clean my office. But it was not irresistible. Too bad... I'd really like my office to be clean, but it's never yet offered to do it by itself.

See Yellow
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


2 comments:

vanilla said...

Green is good. I like living green things.

Ann said...

You can't go wrong with green. I really like the turtle with the succulents. I also like the looks of that Gasteraloe.
Very windy and cold here yesterday too. It even snowed for a little bit