Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, May 11, 2023

Apple Blossoms and a Wish


The best things about today are lovely weather and that the fruit trees are beginning to bloom. I'm particularly fond of the apples.
apple blossoms


I guess I post pictures of them an awful lot of years, but seriously, how can you not love flowers in the spring?
apple blossoms


This is my favorite for this year. I love how the new buds are so deep pink and then the flowers open to white.
apple blossoms


I had a terrible time getting myself to do any work today. In the end I managed to beat myself into a little bit of sorting, one load of laundry (dried outside- first time this year!), a little bit of writing, and a little bit of outside work. A "little bit" of work is not compatible with keeping up with this house and my projects. Sigh.

The outside work primarily consisted of cutting more autumn olive, and that brings me to the wish. The biggest olive I cut out was growing in the middle of what used to be my rock garden. You've heard me lament about its demise before. And I really do wish I had it back. But the truth is, it's way too much work. I used to go outside every evening from 7-7:30 (while Wheel of Fortune was on TV, because I didn't like that show much) and weed. This is when I was younger and climbing and balancing on the rocks in that hill was easier, and I could barely keep up with it then.

The moles took a terrible toll. Most of my gardening efforts have been seriously thwarted by the wildlife.

But, I do miss the rock garden. Here it is when it looked really nice. This is May of 2000. Yeah, that's a lot of years ago. I had to overlap two pictures to show it. I was working toward having plants that had interest from spring through fall. Wasn't quite there, but I was having fun.
rock garden


Tomorrow will be another hike.

See $10000 Plan, $20 Budget

3 comments:

Ann said...

I always used to love the pear tree that used to be in my back yard. This time of year it was so pretty. Every year I was out there taking pictures of it.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That was a beautiful rock garden! We haven't got moles here that I've seen, but we have gophers. I do my best to dig them up and root them out. I know moles live underground too so I could maybe have helped with the rock garden that way."
Charlee: "I don't think your digging in the rock garden is the right kind of help ..."

Sharkbytes said...

The pears are really pretty too!

Lulu- You would be welcome to help with the moles as long as you didn't dig IN the garden. But thank you for liking my rock hill. I really loved it.