Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Found More Peeps, New Peeps - Day 422


There's no reason not to tell you my end points today because until I get back to the UP, things may not be hiked in sequence or on consecutive days. This was from Highbridge Road to the Upper River Road Trailhead in the Manistee National Forest.

The transfer at the township cleanup day came off without a hitch. I was first in line. Members of the wrestling team were there to help people unload, and they quickly emptied the trailer. I had no trouble making it to my end point in a timely manner, where another friend, Stacy, picked me up and took me to the start location.

This was a scheuled chapter hike, and 26 people and 3 dogs showed up to participate! I knew 14 of the 26 when we started, and may have been able to absorb the names of about 6 more. Most everybody hiked out-and-back to whatever distance they wanted.
hiking group picture


This is quite a pretty section of our trail. It includes this nice overlook of the Manistee (yes, still the Manistee) River. Of course, the fact that the trees have been cleared out enough so you can see the river is because of the power line, but it's still nice.
Manistee River


There is one section of the trail that has to navigate a steep bluff. This is accomplished with three sets of good switchbacks (built long ago by the forest service). If you look at the angled upper level of woods, you will see a couple of hikers descending that before they turn the corner to be on the same level as the man in the black shirt.
hikers on trail


One part of this section is unique along the Manistee. The trail is in a low area called Leitch Bayou. This is open and grassy, so you get all these open views of the river. Since it was a lovely day, there were kayakers also out enjoying themselves.
kayaks


The plants are starting to get busy. Ones I haven't seen yet this year are Lyre-leaved Rock cress, Arabidopsis lyrata. I did not remember this one, cold. But with a little help from an app, we came up with it. I should have taken a better picture of the basal leaves which account for the common name. Next time!
rock cress


There was a lot of wood anemone, Anemonoides quinquefolia, blooming. I thought this was a nice treat, because I usually see more rue anemone.
wood anemone


And the cinnamon fern, Osmundastrum cinnamomeum (yes, they recently changed the genus for those of you who care about the taxonomy. This is an exciting time in taxonomy as genetic studies constantly overturn previous groupings which were primarily created with morphology and other visible characteristics, but it's impossible to keep up with the changes.) I thought this was a great specimen with both fiddleheads and some fronds just unfurling.
cinnamon fern


And how long was the hike? Some people only hiked in a short distance- time, physical issues, etc. Some people went as far as Sawdust Hole before turning around. This was about a 9-mile round trip for them. Two people decided to go all the way with me. I've known Barry for a number of years, and Miki is a new friend. So it was all good!
hikers


Miles today: 11.2. Total miles so far: 4668.3

See Tales from the Manistee River Loop

5 comments:

Ellie said...

Great pictures! Spring is definitely arriving in the woods. I am sure it was fun to hike with friends, both new and old. And eleven miles, after taking stuff to get ride of, is impressive!

Ann said...

That's a nice size group. It was a good day for hiking.

Sharkbytes said...

Ellie- well, I was tired, but I think I also have a slight cold that contributed.

Ann- a bit larger than our usual.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Oona: "Peep! That is one of Oona's nicknames, because of the little sounds Oona makes when she says hello!"
Lulu: "Hello, handsome dogs!"

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- You can hardly see Koa in the picture because she is black, but you've met her before. The goldens are Bella and Vita. I had not met them before either, but they were eager to be friends.