Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, May 14, 2023

Fun Stuff and a Great-Grandmother


I went out this morning to do some trail blazing. Well, it is trail, but it's also a road walk. The blazes had gotten pretty bad. Some one, trying to be helpful had created some dark blue spray painted blazes. Actually, this is NOT helpful. I was unable to scrape or wire-brush the dark blue off this sign, so I had to just paint over it.
trail turn blaze


The same was true on this utility pole. I was unable to scrape the old paint off, and my can of gray spray paint (specifically to cover stuff like this) decided to clog. Anyway, the blazes are now the right color. Ones are added where they were needed. There were quite a few missing, including turn blazes on one of the other corners (Yikes!).
trail turn blaze


The sassafras trees are just getting their leaves. They are one of my favorite spring trees. Also, I had occasion to scrape a rather large one (they don't get huge) to paint a blaze on it, and I discovered that the bark is aromatic. The flavoring comes from the roots usually, so I was mildly surprised.
new sassafras leaves


It felt good to get this little section of trail/roadwalk spruced up. Our chapter used to have really, really good blazing. However, that is no longer the case. We were in sort of a transition period from an older set of volunteers to younger ones. I think things are going to improve greatly, quite soon.

I did another of my favorite things on the way home- taking any old back road that goes the right direction. Much to my astonishment, I found a road I'd never been on. That was a lot of fun! Perhaps even more astonishing was that it had a bridge over the Big Sable River. I live in the land of many rivers and few bridges.

In honor of Mother's Day, I was going to share a 3-generation picture of me, my mom, and grandmother. Do you think I can find it? Of course not. However, I did find a picture I haven't shared of my grandmother's mother, great-grandmother Fisher. This is Catherine Louisa Hall Fisher in 1903. That was the year my grandmother turned 21, and she was the oldest of four children, so Catherine L H Fisher would still have had teenagers at home when this was taken. My mother is named for her.

This great-grandmother died in 1923, so I never knew her. I did know one great-grandmother, but that was my grandfather's mother.
Catherine Louisa Hall Fisher


I want you to know that I cleaned out half of a stuffed closet trying to find the other picture because that's where I thought it was. Nope. Best result... well, I cleaned half a closet. I got rid of 2 boxes of stuff. The box of pictures I did find will get put away with other family pictures. I'm trying to at least collect like things in proximity to each other.

See The Charles Alfred Fisher Family

2 comments:

Ann said...

Nice photo of your great-grandmother. I knew mine on my mother's side. Never had any photos taken of all of us together.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- Our family had long generations. It's surprising that even one ggm was alive when I was. Glad you knew one too.