Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Revisiting the Lilac Hedge


In 2016, I discovered this hedge of lilacs that must have surrounded a shed or small builing of some kind because they are planted in a square. lilacs

I spent a couple of years after that trying to remember where it was I'd seen it, then I did find it again. Cathy and I drove past it again yesterday. The bushes have grown a lot. Other small trees have grown up in front of it now. And it's not quite in full bloom.
lilacs


I really should work up the courage to stop at the house and ask if I could go on the property to look at the bushes and take pictures. I'm pretty sure there are at least 5 varieties. Sure, there are the common light purple and white ones, but for sure there are dark purple, a medium purple, and that very interesting two-toned one I talked about in the post linked below. And I can't see what kinds are on the back side at all. You can see the two-toned one at the right on this strip picture.
lilacs


The dark purple ones show over the top of a lighter bush.
lilacs


Today was a stay-at-home-and-try-to-get-some-things-done day. Well, I did that, but it's never enough to even hold my own let alone make progress. My excuse for this month is that I have to remain focused on staying in shape for the completion of the hike in the UP in a couple of weeks.

See A Lilac Year

3 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Our Dada's house where he grew up has lilacs around it. He says he used to suck the nectar out of the flowers."
Chaplin: "So ... Dada is a hummingbird?"
Charlee: "I guess so. Or maybe a butterfly."
Chaplin: "Verrrry interestinggggg ..."

Ann said...

I would love to have those lilac bushes. I have tried several times to get them to grow but none have ever survived.

Sharkbytes said...

C&C Well, I've suspected your Dada of many things, but never of being a lilac vampire...

Ann- sorry to hear that. I wonder why.