Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, May 20, 2023

Gardening with Betty


I have mentioned my friend Betty from time to time over the life of this blog, but the truth is that even though I consider her one of my best friends, we haven't seen very much of each other in the past few years. In "another lifetime," we would get together almost once a week during the school year to work on various handicraft projects. We also both love to garden, although she's had a lot more success than I have. She doesn't like pictures, but approved this one.
friends


She has a cute little green house, built by Roger, her hubby.
homemade greenhouse


I got to spend time with her this morning, helping to pot up some of her bedding plants. I don't think I have any pictures from the way-back machine, but every summer she has a stunning display of coleus on her deck. We fixed up 11 pots of coleus, with 9 different leaf patterns.
coleus in pots


We also potted up her herbs for this year.
herbs in pots


And there were a couple of other things we potted as well. This is an ideal way for me to garden. She will take care of these plants and protect them from critters. There will be some very nice things to look at later in the season. And we got to visit. We seriously have hardly seen each other in a long time despite how much time we used to spend together.

In other news. It was a collosally gorgeous day, and I couldn't stay out of the dirt. My front flower bed will never look like Betty's, but it is looking much better than I would have thought after being totally ignored for 2 years. I did have wire over the hosta, so the deer did not get to chew on them for those years. I'll show you when I get a bit more work done.

See An Evening with Betty

3 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds like a nice day. Always good to see old friends.

Unknown said...

So glad you were able to reconnect with this lovely lady. She is one of my Garden Club friends and such a wonderful gardener. Looks like a very good day and, Betty, I love the picture. Diane Davis

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- for sure!

Diane- I keep thinking about joining the Garden Club, but then I get sidetracked