Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

What's Blooming Today


If you are a long-time reader of my blog, you've seen these plants before. Either that will make them a bore, or they will be like old friends. Either way... they are actually thriving and blooming in my crappy soil, so I will take them.

I thought this was the Bloody Cranesbill, Geranium sanguineum. The name comes from the fact that the leaves turn red in the fall, which these do. However, I just dug out my plant record book (put away because I was going to give up gardening, right?), and it was sold as Grayleaf Geranium/Cranesbill, Geranium cinereum 'Splendens.' I got one little droopy 3" pot for free in 2001 at the tag end of a plant sale. It's clearly the most successful plant in the rock garden now. And 22 years after the fact, I don't think it's cinereum. That one is supposed to have grayish leaves, and a "striking" black center to the flower. Neither of these is true. Also, sanguineum is supposed to flourish in dry sandy soil. Well, there you have it. Plus the very red leaves in the fall. It's beautiful, but I'd really like other plants too. A bunch of this has to go. If you are local and want some later in June, let me know. The flowers are a darker magenta than the picture shows.
bloody geranium


Another huge success in the shade came from Ester in 2107. This is dwarf Solomon's seal, Polygonatum humile. Not native, of course. It has filled in a huge section under the birch tree. I gave a bunch to Betty. It keeps the dark green glossy leaves all season, and looks very cool and nice. The flowers are subtle, but they are in full bloom now.
dwarf Solomon's seal


I've just about got the plants separated that had all grown together. At least for now. I don't want to transplant anything else before I leave since it won't get watered from the sky (according to forecasts) while I'm gone. When I get home, I plan to move a bunch of hostas.

I threw in some marigold seeds last week among the fading daffodil leaves. They are just starting to come up. I wonder if they will survive my being gone.

In other news: I'm about to go hack off my hair and take a shower. I'm just a short-hair person. I can't stand the fly-away mess any longer.

See Pink and Blue

3 comments:

Ann said...

I like any kind of plant that thrives is less than perfect conditions and tolerates neglect from the homeowner.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Our rock area in front is full of plants that can and should be neglected. Something to do with drought, I guess. Now Dada just has to rip out the lawn and replace it with rocks."
Lulu: "What?! But we dogs like the grass!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- you got that right.

Charlie- I'm not sure whether the grass is more work or keeping pretty things planted in the rocks. Lulu- yeah, sorry.