Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 30, 2024

One Very Strange Coincidence

 I promised you another interesting story from the Celebration, and here you go.

I'm sure you recall that I met Marie at Girl Scout Camp, Camp Comstock, in the Finger Lakes of New York in 1960. (We were campers there from 1958-1964.)

Well, last year at the North Country Trail Celebration, a woman who lives in Fremont, MI, came up to me and said that she had been a camper at Comstock in the 1960s. Very interesting, right? She grew up in Indiana, but her father did research at Cornell in the summers, so she went to camp there. As far as we know, our paths never crossed back then. Her name is Becky Tuuk.

Fast forward another year. A woman came up to me at Celebration this year and said she thought I had been at Camp Comstock. Yes. She grew up in the next town south from me and went to Comstock in the 1970s. Her name is Beth McIntyre and she now lives in Kalamazoo. She's done 1000 miles of the NCT.

Are we cueing the weird music yet? It doesn't seem unlikely that four avid Scouts would end up loving to hike. However, we all now live in Michigan and are all involved with the North Country Trail. In fact, all four of us were on the exact same hike that day. Had to have an alumni picture. Beth, Becky, me, Marie.
friends


We've now covered the 1950s through the 1970s, but wait, it gets weirder (more special).

Becky is cleaning house, and she gave me three photos. Her mother was a cook at Comstock in the 1930s. The first two pictures are of the Lodge. It essentially looks the same today. A lot of things have changed, but they did a good job of keeping the Lodge intact and traditional. The camp was founded in 1927, so these pictures are only about 7 years after it was begun.
camp comstock lodge 1934
camp comstock lodge


The final picture, which I assume is from the same year, is of the waterfront area. On the back is written, "Happy are we at Camp Comstock, no other place the same." Well, I certainly agree with that!
camp comstock waterfront


In other news: I worked on two projects. Writing a news column took all morning, and I worked on financial records all afternoon. Managed to take a walk down through the cemetery, 1.3 miles.

Miles walked in 2024: 382.7

See series about Camp Comstock

3 comments:

Ann said...

Wow that is some coincidence.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I think so.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Hmm, seems like a lot of good people went to Comstock!"