Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 31, 2024

Is it Easy Being Green?

 Managed to walk 2 miles today by going for an extra "tour" on the same trip as the shopping. I don't think I'd ever walked that road before. Not that it was anything special, but new is good. Found this little green guy. Wonder what he thought of the freshly oiled surface. Maybe it isn't easy for him to be green. He was certainly visible on the blacktop to birds that might find him tasty. It's the caterpillar for a Gold Spot moth. Nothing special, but nothing bad. Kind of describes my day. His name is Plusia festucae.
gold spot caterpillar


For several months now, I've been making my own salad dressing for my usual evening-meal salad. I couldn't find Green Goddess dressing in the stores for almost a month. I had previously tried a couple of recipes and not liked them. But I found one I do like. It needs fresh herbs, including basil. I've also had trouble finding that in the store. So, today, I bought a pot of the live stuff. It certainly hasn't been easy for this specimen to be green. Or any other color. It's a little sad, but it has a new pot. Hopefully it will perk up on the deck until it has to come in the house. If I even get a couple of pickings off it, the cost will be less than what I paid for one little bunch in a plastic container.
basil plant


And what about that salad dressing? I like it enough that I have continued to make it. I've been experimenting with chopping up the herbs and freezing the extra in water until I'm ready to make a new batch. That works well enough (although even when drained it makes the dressing a little runny). But I also tried freezing the fully prepared dressing, and that didn't seem to change either the flavor or the texture (the part I was concerned about), so today I made a quart and froze half. Here's the jar I'm keeping out for immediate consumption.
herb salad dressing


Here's the recipe (tweaked by me to be easier). It's very forgiving. Add more or less of any ingredient as you have it or like it. Also low calorie, and does not contain ingredients you can't pronounce. OK, maybe not as easy as buying a bottle off the shelf, and not quite as green, but yummy and no artificial green.

Green Goddess Herb salad dressing

a few stalks of basil
a handful of fresh dill (or I've used dried dill when I couldn't find fresh)
a handful of fresh parsley (or I've used dried parsley when I couldn't find fresh)
a few green onion stalks
several garlic cloves
2 c. lowfat yogurt
2 c lowfat sour cream

Chop the herbs and garlic fine. Mix with the dairy products and blend with an immersion blender. Actually, today, I didn't even do this. The herbs are a little coarser, but I don't think that detracts, and it's one less thing to wash. It keeps in the fridge for at least a week. I've previously made a cup at a time and finished it all before there was any chance to test how long it will last.

I finally got back to working on Long Distance Hiker Recognition for the NCT. I'm way behind on that. Shopped, worked on finances, gardened a little (stay tuned).

Miles walked in 2024: 384.7

See Let the Harvest Begin

3 comments:

Ann said...

That dressing looks good.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Hmm, I wonder if that caterpillar is lemon-lime flavor, or just plain lime ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I'm really in love with it

Charlee- probably squishy green flavor. Don't be deceived by appearances...