Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Nagonaba Trail

 I'm in Paradise-- Michigan, that is. My author friend Jean and I came up together for the Wild Blueberry Festival, and she needed to make a business stop on the way in Northport. Well, if you live in Michigan, you know that Northport is not "on the way" to anywhere. It's almost at the end of the Leelanau Peninsula, a finger of land that juts into Lake Michigan west of Traverse City, forming the Grand Traverse Bay. But it's more on the way than making a separate trip.

I knew Jean had about an hour of work to do, so I had researched if there was some place to take a little walk, and had discovered that they have a small trail system, the Nagonaba Trail. I figured I'd check it out.

It turned out to be a delightful little place to explore. First off, I walked up to the Scenic Overlook on Braman Hill. You can drive up there, but Jean dropped me off at the parking area. I figured I'd explore as much as I had time for, so I walked up because someone said the view was worth it. From the overlook, you get a view of Grand Traverse Bay. It was a nice vista
overlook of grand traverse bay


I've been trying to find out what Nagonaba means but no luck so far. There is also a Nagonaba Street in Northport, so it may have been a name. I called the museum, but didn't get a human.

The trail is mostly natural surface, nicely maintained. It's multiuse, but not torn up by bicycles.
Nabogama Trail


One section was boardwalk through a wetland, and there was Cardinal Flower blooming. The first I've seen this year.
cardinal flower


Imagine my surprise when I took one of the branch trails to get back to meet Jean and discovered there is a big frog sculpture near Northport Creek!
frog sculpture


I didn't have time to explore quite all of the trail system. There was another nice boardwalk that I would have liked to follow, but I was out of time. As it was, I walked 3.4 miles, and I give the trail system 4 out of 5 stars. It was nicely marked with several maps posted. The park had rec facilities (tennis, pickleball, basketball, toddler playground, skateboard park and clean restrooms). Most of the trail was nicely shaded, and there were occasional benches.

We are set up, with our canopies tied down tight against storms that are supposed to come tonight. We are staying with fellow vendors from Ludington, Steve and Brenda. Bill and Shirley, also vendors from Ludington joined us for dinner.

Miles hiked so far in 2024: 362.0.

Nabogama Trail, Northport, MI, various sections and streets, 3.4 miles

See An Adventure Day

3 comments:

Ann said...

Looks like a nice place to kill time while you were waiting for Jean. Love that frog.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Chaplin: "Ooh, a giant frog sculpture? Somebody should have told Dennis's old friend Norwood about that!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- super little find

Chaplin- maybe it's Norwood's cousin